To Wonderland We Go - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2022

To Wonderland We Go

First picture of the river in the Salmon River Valley.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Salmon River Valley. Check out the moon.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Educational sign pairs with the next picture. It was early in the Salmon River Valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Picture pairs with the hydraulic mining sign.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Salmon River at the entry to Old Highway 95 looking back from where we came.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Salmon River looking forward towards White Bird.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sign of the day…warning ignored.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Enid MeadowsGreat sign, Ferris!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking down the climb into the town of White Rabbit (Bird). Big climb but FUN.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The summit of today’s climb. It was about 11 miles and 2,800-2,900 feet of climbing. My favorite or maybe second favorite segment of the trip so far.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Mike AylingBut it is only a hill!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsWow. I "totally* missed that sign.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Coming down the backside of the White Bird climb I finally found a barn. The landscape is changing and it’s getting harder to find a picture worthy barn
Heart 5 Comment 0

We wrapped up our campsite on the BLM property early today and headed to the River Rock Cafe for breakfast. Quickly thereafter at about 7:30am we started the day’s ride. 15 minutes later at about 6:45am we had covered the first 2.5 miles. (Yes you read that right. We had a Back to the Future moment and went backwards in time. It seems even though we were still in Idaho, once you cross the Salmon River it’s pacific time again…go figure). 

30 miles on RT 95 through the Salmon River Valley. The road was mostly quiet and the ride was mostly flat to downhill (except when it wasn’t). The mountains and the river continue to awe us.  Check out the picture with the faded moon. 

Next destination was the town of “White Rabbit” (it’s actually called White Bird, but just couldn’t seem to keep that in my head). Tiny town near the intersection of RT 95 and Old Highway 95, and the gateway to the “White Rabbit” climb. About 11 miles long with nearly 2,900 feel of climbing. It was a glorious climb!  Virtually no cars, sans the biker chick who told Dan and I that we were friggin awesome and an ATV. After about 96 minutes with temperatures that never hit 90 degrees,  we were done climbing and beginning the descent into Grangeville (the Idaho County Seat).   Another day in the books!

I was about to give up on finding a barn that was picture-worthy and then… Not sure I can keep the streak alive much longer as the landscape is changing. 

As for the sign of the day, “BAD Land” was the sign just a bit before the climb started. It may have been a warning to the uninitiated, obviously we ignored it 😳

Education of the day, check the Hydraulic Mining pictures. 

And why the title for today’s post…think about it…got it?  It’s because Alice went to Wonderland and met the White Rabbit and we climbed a mountain affectionately renamed by me as the White Rabbit climb. The optional title was Revenge for Kenny Rogers…we picked a fine to to leave you Lucile (a town we cruised through today without stopping because it’s namesake once left Kenny with too many kids and a crop in the field). 

Ian

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 3,715 miles (5,979 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Michele GordonWoohoo 🥳 another one in the books
So glad it was a quiet climb with minimal traffic …….love that the biker chick gave you boys a shout out
Reply to this comment
1 year ago