Running Out of Places to Hide - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2022

Running Out of Places to Hide

Leaving the town of Cambridge, ID. Another small town as you can see looking straight up Main Street.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Beautiful view as we began the first climb of the day on 95 North.
Heart 3 Comment 0
More beautiful scenery leaving Council, ID.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Here’s your farm house. The background is pretty awesome and I love the way the hay bales offset everything.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith AdamsI think this may have been the place where they had a radio station playing over a PA system in or near the barn. I went by early in the morning and could hear it from a mile away, or that's what it seemed like.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonTo Keith AdamsSweet. Are you stopping in Darby today? If yes text us we stayed at a Warm Shower.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Different but still beautiful scenery. Still on 95 North but 50 miles away from the earlier pictures.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dan being excited about his first flat and attempt to change a tire on the Surly. NASCAR pit crews rest easy you have no competition from us.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Salmon River coming into Riggins, ID.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sign of the day coming into Riggins, ID
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lynne at the BLM who told us it was ok to camp on their property AND she made sure the sprinklers were off.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Yesterday was hotter but the heat seems more oppressive today. We got an early start to beat some of the heat and we were somewhat successful. A late breakfast in New Meadows,ID and then back on the road to Riggins, ID. We rolled into Riggins and had a late lunch in a local restaurant. Sat there for a long time because they had air conditioning and we could use their electric to charge things up. Then we went to the BLM building to see if we could camp there and to relax in the air conditioning. Then to the ice cream place because…say it…they had air conditioning. Then to the local market because…yup, they have air conditioning. Get the theme 😳. Now we’re sitting under an awning at the local market stalling before we go back into the sun and heat. Oh and in case you’re wondering, tomorrow weather is a redo of today. 

Tomorrow’s ride is about 50 miles with a big honkin climb starting at about the 30 mile mark and going up about 2,900 ft and 11.6 miles with maximum grade exceeding 20% (can I get a loud WTF). 

As for today’s ride. It started slow coming out of Council, ID with some climbing and a long pull on RT 95. It took less than one mile for us to get passed by our first two logging trucks ( dang they are big, go fast, and are scary) of the day and to find two picture-worthy barns. As usual lots of great scenery along the way. About 41 miles into the ride, Dan got the first flat of the trip. Together we got it changed pretty quickly, but nobody would ever accuse us of being part of a NASCAR pit crew.  Ironically, the place where Dan flatted was called “Hazard Creek”😧

The sign of the day takes the place of any social and/or political commentary I might have for today. I’ll just leave it at that so as not to declare a position and/or offend anyone. 

I hope you’re all stay a bit cooler than us!

Ian

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 3,776 miles (6,077 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Michele GordonYou say that the heat was more oppressive than yesterday but I have to say ….you sounded much stronger and energized today than yesterday (must have been the air conditioning 😜😉) snake river sure is pretty …..sleep well love and try to stay cool 😎
Reply to this comment
1 year ago