Into The Abyss - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2022

Into The Abyss

Leaving Lander looking back to the east.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just a southern view from 287 heading for Jeffrey City.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barn of the day picture. Enjoy this one because I’m confident there won’t be one tomorrow.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking north after leaving Lander, WY. No idea what created the pattern. Maybe extraterrestrials?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking northwest on RT 287 heading for Jeffrey City.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking northwest on RT 287 heading for Jeffrey City.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from the top of Beaver Ridge…the big climb of the day. I have a panoramic view but it doesn’t seem to work well in the blog…sorry. Happy to send it via text or email.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Leigh and Carol Phillips. They were such nice people from New Orleans on their way to Seattle. Gave us water and cherries.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Educational opportunity. Saw this at the only rest stop we had and really just bathrooms and a water fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sign of the day. I guess they all got it right and got along 😉
Heart 7 Comment 0
It’s a sad,sad story but unfortunately not one that is unique in this part of the country. In fact I think I shared a similar story about the town that funded Harvard way back when.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Thought you would enjoy the inside of the infamous Split Rock Bar and Restaurant.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Little Church on the Prairie. Actually it’s the Jeffrey City Community Church. They are amazing hosts of hundreds of riders every year. Bathrooms, showers, bedrooms, and a kitchen too.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Abyss:  From Lander, WY to Jeffrey City, WY (more about Jeffery City later) there is almost nothing but a road (RT 287) and beautiful scenery. No stores, no gas stations, no restaurants, no hotels, no motels, no houses…get the point?  There is one rest stop called Sweetwater Station (more on this later, too), but that’s it!  Unfortunately it’s not going to be much different on tomorrow’s ride to Rawlins, WY. Oh well, it’s all part of the adventure. 

So many things to discuss today, and I’m going to begin with a shout out to The Community  Church of Jeffrey, WY. Now those of you who know me are probably having heart palpitations right now…breath and relax. I’m still me, but this church opens their doors (actually just leaves them unlocked) to adventure cyclists. They give us a place to shower and sleep and even allow us to memorialize our trips on the walls!  There are bathrooms, bedrooms with blow up mattresses, and even a kitchen. We’re so thankful for this parish as they are right in the middle of the aforementioned abyss (Landers to Rawlins).

Scenery comes up next. I’ve run out of superlatives. Each day the scenery just seems to get different (yes I meant to write different). I can’t say better as each part of landscape is beautiful in its own way. We’ve discussed burned forests already and some of the Indian Reservations. Today once again things just seemed to changed as the miles clicked away. As usual, I stopped to take lots of pictures and of course I’ll share some. 

Now on to Jeffrey City, WY.  It was once a booming city, but now it’s merely a blip on the side of the highway. There is the Split Rock Cafe, a bar that masquerades as the only restaurant between Lander and Rawlins. There is a pottery shop (but a local didn’t have much good to say about it). There is the Green Mountain Motel (it’s best days were in the fifties, it’s better days were maybe the sixties, and it’s all been downhill from there. And finally there is the Church (you know how I feel about that).  Total population is now about less than 100 and probably less than 50. I am going to post a picture of the sign that explains the history of Jeffrey City, WY. It’s worth a few minutes to read it. 

A moment on todays route. Once again mostly downhill or flat except when it wasn’t. The “wasn’t” was mostly about a 1,000 foot climb to the top of Beaver Ridge (I’ll come back to Beaver Ridge in a moment).  The rest of the “wasn’t” was what I would usually refer to as rolling hills except the ups and downs were more elongated than normal…no big deal and still fun. The last 15 miles were just fast and fun…almost as fast as the descent from Beaver Ridge. 

Ok, back to Beaver Ridge. I’ll post some pictures of the view but unfortunately the panoramic views don’t seem to work (but I’ll try again).  Most fun to talk about is the couple, Leigh and Carol Phillips from New Orleans, that we met there. They are traveling up to Seattle, WA to visit family and happened to stop at the same place as us. They were so excited about and supportive of our journey. They have us water and cherries (remember we’re in the Abyss so they were angels) and to help us in any other way they could. Safe travels to you Leigh and Carol. 

What’s left?  Barn of the day…yes I found one before entering the Abyss. No promises for tomorrow though. And sign of the day…yup my final discussion of the blog. 

The sign of the day is a post showing the overlap of the routes used by many different folks.  If they could all share a trail back then, then we should be able to share more and happily help each other now.   so go out today and do something nice for someone you don’t know. 

I’m thinking this won’t be posted tonight as the Church doesn’t have internet (still thankful and not complaining).  So there may be two posts to read tomorrow. 

Oh well…

Ian

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 2,878 miles (4,632 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Michele GordonSorry ya didn’t have much support along this route and yesterdays route 😞 ……. I expect as you get closer to Colorado you will find more food/drink/rest options …..or perhaps Leigh and carol will help you along the way (such sweethearts ❤️)
Enjoy the downhills as there are plenty of uphills waiting for ya in Colorado 😉😘😘
Reply to this comment
1 year ago