Heading For The Buffalo Lodge Bicycle Resort - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2022

Heading For The Buffalo Lodge Bicycle Resort

I know what you’re thinking. And no that isn’t someone else’s plate. I skipped the chocolate chips today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Is this what Kansas is going to be like, only with wheat fields on both sides?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith Adams"I don't think so, Tim."
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
On the way from Florence to Pueblo. The prison is on the other side of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barn of the day. Zoom in to see the reason I refer to it as a Jewish Barn.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Coming through Wetmore and looking westward.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Long distance shot of Pueblo Reservoir
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Buffalo Lodge Bicycle Resort. A really cool place and the sign of the day. How does Mrs G find these places?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wall painting at the Buffalo Lodge
Heart 4 Comment 0
Decorations in our room at the Buffalo Lodge
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Buffalo Lodge van with contact info. If you’re in the area of Colorado Springs you must stop by.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Shorter ride today as compared to yesterday and NO rain.  There was a bit more climbing than I expected and it did get pretty warm. I’ll take the heat over yesterday’s biblical storm any day. 

Stopped in Florence for some breakfast and then tried to stop at some big facility coming out of town. Unfortunately or fortunately they didn’t let me in and I didn’t take any pictures. I guess you need a resold a sentence to get in. The place is nicknamed the “Alcatraz of the Rockies”.  The facility is officially the United States Penitentiary, Florence Administrative Maximum Facility (USP Florence ADMAX) in Fremont County near Florence, Colorado. Some pretty scary people are or have been in there.  Interesting  to google this one. 

Nothing terribly eventful on the ride today and that’s a good thing.  I think I got a little taste of what Kansas could  be like…long and straight as far out as you can see.  

Speaking of Kansas, in planning for the ride through Kansas it’s kind of challenging. I’d like to get through in less than 10 days, but the availability of services dictates how far one can reasonably travel. And then of course there are the winds. Oh well we shall see…

I found a barn today. And not just any barn. It was a Jewish barn. How did I know, we’ll take a close look at the Star of David. Who would have thought you’d see that in Wetmore, CO (population just over 500)? 

 Rolled through some small towns and into Pueblo. Rode through a real nice park and past the zoo and then met Mrs G at the official end of the route. From there off to REI bike shop for a new chain and a quick once over. Next bike shop could be a ways off…who knows. 

Finally after a quick lunch we arrived at the Buffalo Lodge Bicycle Resort. Ok this is a really cool place. Met the owner (Tori’s) and her daughter (Delaney).  They had just ridden the Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI). Lots of cycling oriented people here. Pictures will be added.  If you are in the Colorado Springs area, you’ve got to check this place out!  

Sign of the day is definitely the Buffalo Lodge sign (the whole main building). 

Nothing else that I can think of to share. Of course I’ll add some scenery pictures but that’s it. 

Heads up, tomorrow is a rest day and the pictures might be of the grandkids. I get to see them for the first time since late May!  Hope they remember me 🙁

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 2,409 miles (3,877 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0