Leaving Wisdom Behind ðŸ˜‰ - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2022

Leaving Wisdom Behind ðŸ˜‰

Rolling out of Wisdom, MT heading for Dillon, MT. These are the Beaverhead Mountains.
Heart 4 Comment 0
One of the last pictures of the Beaverhead Mountains with snow on them.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sign of the day is kinda boring. Top of the first pass we climbed. There was no sign at the top of the second pass.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is the barn of the day spotted in Jackson, MT. I’m jaded so this is the single redeeming quality of the town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A broad view of the. Beaverhead Mountains from RT 278.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A different landscape at the top of the second pass of the day. Clearly we’re out of the green piney mountains.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The picture before was looking right and this one is in the same location looking left.
Heart 3 Comment 0
My sleeping quarters at the Bikers Camp in Dillion, MT.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Some might say that we left our Wisdom (assuming we ever had any) behind the day we got on the train and headed to Portland, OR to start our ride. Respectfully I have to disagree because this trip is about gaining wisdom, insights, and perspectives (initial perspectives about things for which I have none and new perspectives about things I thought I knew and understood).   It is about being open to experiencing and learning (I am so fortunate that Mrs G is letting me do this). The bike is simply a vehicle that brings you closer to things than a car, or a movie, or a book can. So yeah maybe I’m crazy, but that has nothing to do with this trip. 

Now when we left Wisdom we figured we would eat breakfast in Jackson. Now that was definitely a display of limited wisdom. The one place to eat in town was terrible. Didn’t say the food was terrible, because we never ate it. Waited 45 minutes for french toast that never came so we left hungry and rode about 45 more miles before we could eat. On top of that delay, Dan flatted and we had to change his tire too. So in summary Jackson, MT gets the award as the worst town we have visited. 

A couple good climbs today but nothing too bad. Descending from the first climb was nuts. I hit 49.8 mph and Dan was right there too!  

We’re staying at a cool place tonight. It’s called Bike Walk Southwest Montana. It’s effectively a place for bikers to camp or stay in one of the  cabin-like buildings. I’m sleeping outside and will share a photo of my humble abode. The guy Larry that runs it is really committed and does everything with either donation his own money. 

We’re leaving the snow-capped Beaverhead Mountains behind today and heading for Virginia City, MT. It’s supposed to be a good destination. 

We met a bunch of riders today. Most riding east to west. One from Boston, two from Portland, OR, a father and daughter from the Netherlands, etc. 

Sadly no real exciting sign of the day but I did find a barn.   Also some nice scenery pictures leaving Wisdom and heading for Dillon, MT. 

That’s it for tonight. 

Sleep well

Ian

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 3,365 miles (5,415 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Michele GordonOk ……the chaise lounge inside your sleeping quarters looks pretty sweet …..sure you won’t be missing your little tent sleeping on the ground 😉
Reply to this comment
1 year ago