Santona To Comillas - Toulouse to Porto 2019 - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2019

Santona To Comillas

A Long and Busy Day on the Road

Sleeping next to penitentiary walls is a first for us, but not by much.  We have had campsites next to halfway houses, small prisons, and juvenile facilities before. But, a jail with guard towers, barking dogs, flood lights that lit up the night sky, and sirens screaming indicating when to get up was a new experience for us.

Seems like this “journal” is becoming more a photo journal.  I am finding that I just don’t seem to have the time to do a lot of writing at the end of the day.  So, for some days, photos and captions will just have to tell the story.

So.  I just heard back from my editor and she said that I need to write more details to put some things into perspective.  So, that’s what I am going to do here.

Lots of short snappy hills today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a busy day on the roads that saw us take the CA 141 to Somo where we crossed the  bay to Santander.  Before leaving our neighbours behind the stone wall, we grabbed a quick coffee at a local bar/cafe.  The TV was turned to the live feed of the  running of the bulls in Pamplona.  It was interesting to watch men of all shapes and sizes getting warmed up, tying their shoes, stretching and praying before they released the bulls.  What a spectacle.  It does not last long and I am happy to report that there were no gorings this year.  Sue just told me a million people come to Pamplona for a crazy 5 minute run for your life.

Our campground with penitentiary walls and looming bright flood lights for free
Heart 0 Comment 0
Playa de Barria. Our walk after dinner. Spain’s north coast beaches are stunning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another one. This is our backyard tonight. Not bad for 15 Euros.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The other direction. This beach was bookended by headlands. Nice light.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stunning dune sedges. Perhaps my brother can identify?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be sea spurge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_paralias
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Waiting for the ferry which will take us across from Somo to Santander.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Signage for the Compostela.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pilgrims on route with the shell they hang off their backpack.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After our crossing to Santander, we sat and took a little break in the shade.  We headed on up the hill to the CA 231 and skirted through San Roman, Liencres which dumped us onto busy N611 all the way to Torrelvaga.  We soon realized why it was so busy.  For some reason, the police were diverting traffic off of the main highway, and all the cars ended up on the road we were on.

Santander beach scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Descending near Mogro. Near Parque Natural Dunes De Liencres.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I bought these egg flavored chips without realizing what flavor I bought. It was like eating someone’s farts. Needless to say, we didn’t finish the bag.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our campground view in Comillas
Heart 2 Comment 0
The other direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checking out the maps for he next day’s ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fiesta kept us up all night. Think techno, yelling men and women and car horns. All night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camp at Comillas. A wonderful campground and incredible view, except for the craziness across the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beach at Comillas
Heart 1 Comment 0
A tranquil scene but really a raucous night. We will get no sleep tonight. But, look at that view.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 547 km (340 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0