Potes to Riano - Toulouse to Porto 2019 - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2019

Potes to Riano

A big climb to Riano

A 25km and 1300 meter climb right from Potes. Can you say, “Good morning legs”?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stayed at the incredible campground La Viorna; a family run campground that was clean, had a well-stocked shop, an excellent restaurant and gracious and warm hosts.  Plus, the view was breathtaking. 

When we arrived we asked the hostess for a quiet spot because we needed a good night’s sleep.  She brought us to the top of the campground  where people without cars camp. We readily set up camp, sat down and had a snack and much needed drinks.  It was perfect for about ten minutes. 

Bucolic view from La Viorna campground this morning. Dramatic mountains hiding behind the low cloud. This valley really reminds us of the Dolomites around Cortina.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We heard them first.  A gaggle of six or seven fifteen year old girls chatting noisily and they were headed our way; being led up the road by another campground employee.  They straggled a little behind in a prepubescent clump oblivious of their volume and, of course, were led to the three sites next to ours.   

After the campground employee left, they proceeded to have a lively conversation whereby they all talked over one another.

We had to move, and did.   Before we left, we politely explained that we were sleep deprived from the fiesta night in Comillas , and we needed some P and Q.   We, of course, didn’t want them to think they had somehow offended us.  I’m sure that they preferred the old folks move on as well.  Win win.

Morning view from camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This plum tree was heavy with thousands of plums.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Watching the running of the bulls live again. They actually replay the worst injuries in slow motion for about an hour after the five minute run.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Jon AylingFantastic. Was in this restaurant a couple of weeks ago!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Jon AylingHi Jon. What a strange coincidence!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Jon AylingTo Patrick O'HaraHaha - I don't think I did (I suspect chips featured heavily - the vegetarian curse) ... but I did sit at that exact table. Weird!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sue on the climb to Puerto de San Glorio. A very long and steady climb gaining about 1300 meters from Potes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
My bike turned it’s handlebars and admired the view as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This was one beautiful climb with stunning Mountain View’s the whole way.  The grade was not that bad either.  It was a steady 5/6/7%.  It was just long.  We were kind of both ready for it to be over , but we had another 400meters of climbing with 8kms left.  We just kept churning and turning those pedals.

A pretty quiet road. Pretty popular with the crotch rocket crowd, though (a.k.a-motorcycles)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Allez, allez, allez.....go Suzie.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our road up ahead snaking it’s way up to the pass. It was hard to choose from the many pics from this climb today.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back towards Potes and it’s valley.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Higher still.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That’s the final few switchbacks above. Finally getting to above the tree line. On route to Puerto de San Glorio.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Took a selfie. Caught Sue mid stretch, or doing her best YMCA routine. What’s even stranger is the large red and white straw sticking into my brain. You can suck, but you’re not going to get much out of this melon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Almost there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The high point on this trip so far. Will also likely be the high point of the trip as well.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At the pass. We had lunch and Sue passed out for a bit. The only way I could get her back on her bike was to tempt her with chocolate sided digestives. You know the ones.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Well.  That’s as far as I’m going to get tonight.  We are camped at astounding Riano overlooking a otherworldly mountain vista.  It’s almost as if it is not real.  Nice and cool for sleeping at 1200meters.  Night.

Puerto de San Glorio. High point of the trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The descent brought us into the province of Leon. The roads deteriorated instantly for the entire descent, with only patches of new asphalt. Not the in budget to fix the road in this area, I guess. Here, Sue is riding over the best section of road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Getting warmer as we lose elevation. Time to take a layer off and listen to the very drunk owner of this pub get rowdy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view entering the town of Riano was of another world. This whole area reminded us of Patagonia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The town of Riano backdropped by this incredible mountain vista.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 673 km (418 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0