Comillas to Potes - Toulouse to Porto 2019 - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2019

Comillas to Potes

Entering Picos National Park.

Away from the coast and into the mountains again.
Heart 0 Comment 0

So.  We’re tired today.  The festivities from last night’s fiesta in Comillas went straight to our legs, so a shorter day was in store for us.  

I’m not sure what it is about fiestas that make young men want to scream at the top of their lungs right into the morning, but I sure heard many hoarse  voices when cycled into town for our morning coffees.   Hoarse voices that still clutched large beer bottles and wobbled in the town square.

You wouldn’t know from how clean Comillas looked this morning that thousands of people had been there mere hours before.  They had large spray trucks moving slowly along the streets washing down all the urine stained walls with high pressure hoses.  

The morning after the fiesta. Comillas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Comillas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Collimas
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just in case you have not had enough of Collimas.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Upon leaving Comillas, we turned at Unquerda Andy headed south into the Picos National Park.  The instant change of scenery rejuvenated us as we headed deeper into the canyons of the Rio Deva. 

We dipped briefly into Asturias, but were soon back in Cantabria.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering the canyons of the Rio Deva. Dramatic cliffs, grottos and caves all along the route today. Just stunning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wondering where all the cyclists are? Low traffic. Excellent road surface, and look at this scenery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s always wise when cycle touring to look behind you every once in a while for a different perspective.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Okay.  I know that there are many pics of this route to Potes, but if you are ever in this area; ride this route.

Sue. Heading up the Rio Deva to Potes.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Okay. Last one. I promise.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We stopped for a coffee break and watched this man and his some sell his garlic braids. Wish I had more room in my panniers. But, then again, I might have to sleep outside of the tent for the rest of the trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A dorky picture of me, but I can’t help it. I’m a dork. Ask my friends. Heck, ask Sue. We exited the gorge and the valley widened for dramatic views like this.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Potes. One of those towns you come across that oozes charm. Old town, arched bridges, and a dramatic mountain backdrop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Potes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More Potes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sue and I sat on a old wood balcony overlooking the Deva River and watched people cross the old stone bridge. Life is good.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 613 km (381 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0