Cangas del Narcea to A Fonsagrada - Toulouse to Porto 2019 - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2019

Cangas del Narcea to A Fonsagrada

Lots of climbing today

Two big climbs today and 2100 meters of elevation gain for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We awoke at the Hotel El Molinon in Cangas del Narcea refreshed and ready to push on westward.  We backtracked the six downhill kms to the junction with AS 14 and began to climb towards our high point of the day a at Puerto del Palo at around 1146m.  

It was a beautiful and gradual climb rarely exceeding 7% and we just allowed the legs to spin us up thorough the climb.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Along our climb we passed through the lovely town of Pola de Allande.  It was here we stopped for breakfast and had a wander through the lively market.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Before leaving we picked up some local cheese and chorizo.  We couldn’t believe the price of a good size hunk of cheese and equally large portion of chorizo.  5Euro.  We are finding Spain to be so much more economical than France.

We had our fill of samples and bought some great cheese and chorizo from this effective vendor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How could you pass up on this?
Heart 1 Comment 0
They don’t call this the Costa Verde fro nothing. Rolling green Asturian hills as far as the eye can see. Just a beautiful region with excellent roads for cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Backlit bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For this climb, we travelled up the Rio Nison valley on AS 14. A look back at our route.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sue and I remarked yesterday that all our pictures are the same.  Bikes, scenery, us etc.  I agreed.  But, what else are we going to take photos of?  After all, this is a travel bicycle blog about our adventure.  This is pretty much what we see all day.  Bikes.  Scenery.  Us.  Although, I’m sure, at times Sue would like to see and hear less from me. 

It’s worth another gander.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Action shot of me climbing Puerto del Palo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This perspective makes me look like a giant.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonA trifecta - bikes, scenery, and you all in one shot! The other traffic in the road makes it especially great though.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonHi Scott. Thanks for your comment. Sitting here in Lugo. A long day ahead to Santiago today. I believe that you are passing through here on your next European tour. Nice city. 5 more days until Porto. I can’t believe this trip is nearing it’s end.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
This photo should actually precede the one above. Still climbing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Puerto del Palo. 1146m.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Well.  We have to get ready for the day. It is the morning of the 19th.  Will finish this day later.  For now, enjoy the pics.

We are on the Camino Primitivo here. This is the original route made by King Alphonso.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A look at our descent. The other side of the pass.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Come here if you want quiet roads and hills to climb. We think we are falling in love with this region of Spain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quiet roads and incredible vistas. Why we have not seen many cycle tourers is beyond me. Might be all the climbing involved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just amazing. Hardly any cars and great road surfaces.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is our picnic spot. Below is the valley of the Rio Navia. Beyond that, the Embalse de Salime dam holds back the reservoir.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Embalse de Salime.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the hillside next he the dam are remnants of what looks to be an old mining operation. Along the way, the rock is primarily slate, so could have been a slate mine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peering down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This large statue sits below the dam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The amount of windmill farms in this region really is astounding. Seems like most of he hilltops are covered in neat rows of these giants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Beautiful Asturias and entering Glorious Galicia.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 968 km (601 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0