Vancouver - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2022

Vancouver

As Smooth as it can be in 2022

We have arrived Vancouver, and things went as smoothly as they can in 2022. We arranged a large taxi through the hotel and were delivered to the Lisbon Airport with no drama. The cab driver was great, he helped with the boxes, got us to the right elevator and told us which level we needed. Once on the correct floor I left Keith with the boxes, found Air Canada check in (in the booth, in the back, in the corner, in the dark). Okay maybe not quite that dramatic, but they sure aren’t paying for the premium check in location.  

Things really went well there, as they did not weigh our boxes. We were a bit concerned, particularly about Keith’s. A bigger bike plus tools means a heavier box. Then to oversize check in, through the scanner they went and we were free of our bikes. They reassured us they are checked through to Victoria. 

Both Lisbon Toronto, Toronto Vancouver were on time. We arrived in Vancouver and checked into the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel. A real treat, facilitated by our youngest son, who works for Fairmont. There is only one problem at this point. The CN has developed a sore throat. Uh oh. We are flying home to Victoria regardless as we don’t see any other options. We are wearing N95 masks (I slept in one!) and hoping it is just a cold.  At least it is only a twenty minute flight. 

So we are almost at the finish line. When Air Canada first changed our flights we were so disappointed. They canceled our Toronto Victoria flight and our Toronto Vancouver flight arrived too late to get to the island. As it has turned out, it has been wonderful. It was great to just fall into bed last night after we got off the second long flight. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI’m sorry to see the end of your tour but glad to hear you made it home! I’m crossing my fingers that Keith didn’t get Covid.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachael! We are home now after overnighting in Vancouver at the airport. On the eve of our flight from Lisbon I could feel a very mild soreness developing in my throat. We were all packed up for our flight out around noon the next day. Both masked up for the long flight to Toronto and connecting flight 3 hours later to Vancouver. We had to overnight in Vancouver at the airport which was just as well. We fell into bed and I tested in the morning. Yup after 2 1/2 years of dodging this virus it finally found me … how? … i do not know. Hopefully I did not pass it on to anyone on our flights. I wasn’t the only one on the plane hacking. Doing well after a fitful so called sleep. Now the question remains … will I pass it one Kathleen? So far so good.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago