Train to Sintra - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

October 21, 2022

Train to Sintra

Trains and Bikes

Trains and loaded touring bikes are always a nervy proposition. Sometimes it is easy, sometimes it is not. Our experiences have run the gamut from great to nerve racking, although we have always managed in the end. Still, it was hard not to wonder how today’s train was going to go while we had our last breakfast in the lovely breakfast room. 

As it turned out, it was easy. We arrived at the train station a full half hour early and our train was there and we were welcome to board. None of that watching your train whip into the station, search for the bike car, throw the bags and bikes aboard and hope like heck you both get on too. This was as relaxed as it was possible to be. So five minutes after arrival we were comfortably seated, the bikes were hanging on their hooks and we were calmly reading on our phones. 

This was so straightforward.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The train became very busy closer to departure.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Going over the humming bridge in Lisbon. The views were fantastic but we were busy getting the bikes and bags ready for a speedy exit.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We had to be a bit more on our toes where we changed trains in Lisbon, but we have found if you block the entry with bikes and bags so no one can get on until you get off, two things happen. Lovely people help you get everything off the train, and the train won’t leave with you still on it as everyone has to wait for you to get off before they can get on. 

So there we were in the Lisbon station, and we were on the platform to Sintra with time to spare. That is the only place we had a funny glitch. I realized this was a commuter train. It takes bikes and baby buggies and all manner of things. It was also roll on, roll off. No need to remove the bags. So as I started to roll my bike on Keith called for me to wait. I looked at him somewhat puzzled. He was looking for the bike car. In the length of time that took to happen, the train left without us. We both laughed because we both knew they run every twenty minutes so it wasn’t a problem. On we rolled twenty minutes later and we were in Sintra in 35 minutes.  The train to Sintra was very busy in Lisbon, but by the time we arrived we were pretty much the only passengers left. That should make the return trip easy. 

Waiting for the next Sintra train.
Heart 4 Comment 0
So easy when you can just roll on and off.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Sintra is a beautiful place but oh so busy!   This is the off season but we do have the misfortune of being here on a weekend. We had a late and delicious lunch at a restaurant recommended by our hotel. It is still warm enough to eat outside. The high today was 21°C and the rain held off. We then wandered around the main square and through the park. Tomorrow, if the rain cooperates, I think we will go hiking. There are some palaces here that are very popular, but they will be busy tomorrow, and at this point a hike appeals to us more. 

It is a beautiful setting and there are lots of people here appreciating it. If this is what it is like in low season, I can’t imagine in high season. It is the weekend though.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Coming in from the train station.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lots and lots of souvenirs for sale.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from our lunch patio.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In our opinion, Sintra has a car problem. They don’t have the large pedestrian areas we are so fond of.
Heart 4 Comment 0
So everyone walks on the streets.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So many people. The narrow alleys are pedestrians only.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tomorrow should be fun, no matter what we choose to do. We want to savour these last few days. 

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 1,751 km (1,087 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0