San Roque to Tarifa - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2022

San Roque to Tarifa

A Birthday Ride to Remember…or Forget?

I entered my eighth decade today and it has been quite the occasion. Our room number yesterday was 106, so I woke up in the perfect room. We had a Spanish breakfast at the hotel and headed for Tarifa. Because of the two strong winds that affect this part of Spain, the Levante from the east and the Poniente from the west, Tarifa is the kitesurfing capital of Europe.  So obviously, one memorable thing about today was the wind. 

Room 106.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was blowing in San Roque too, but in exactly the right direction. After a few nervy minutes on the main highway we followed N9209 for a ride that was everything we like about riding in Spain. A quiet road with a good surface and great scenery that went on and on. I delusionally thought it was going to be like that all the way to Tarifa. 

Wild (and invasive) morning glory. Thanks Bill for that information. We see it everywhere, and it is pretty, but what is it choking out?
Heart 5 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesShort answer-It chokes out just about everything!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltYellow flower looks like a squash blossom. Big leaves also look like squash.

https://lofthouse.com/how-to-identify-squash.phtml
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill. I wondered what it was.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another big black bull
Heart 3 Comment 0
Spain was neutral in the world wars. Why do these bunkers exist? Does anyone know?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenThat is all I can think of and I don’t have the time to do more research right now.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gorgeous riding, with a tailwind.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Storks.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Brett ClassenI thought these only existed like this in cartoons haha
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Shortly before the big truck industrial area.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then we were routed off our amazing road and through the outskirts of  Algeciras. This was not our idea of an ideal bike route. Definitely not scenic, and surrounded by trucks and containers. It didn’t feel unsafe at all. Just unattractive. Or real life is another way to look at it. Not touristy, that is for sure. The feeling unsafe part came later. It just seemed weird, and then it spat us out on the highway. We were climbing at this point, and there were two lanes on our side of the highway. Great for cars, but it left us with very little shoulder. The two lanes meant everyone moved over, when they could, which was great. Sometimes cars were boxed in by other cars, which was okay too, but when it was a truck that couldn’t move over, let’s just say it felt dangerous, even though a miss is a good as a mile. I often think the perception of danger is greater than the danger itself, but the noise, the buffeting. I don’t like it. N340 was basically the only road though, so we hung in there. 

Then a hilarious moment. The CN saw a route into El Pelayo, which would get us off the highway for a few minutes. It meant hike a bike up a ridiculously steep gravel hill, with vicious sounding barking dogs, but hey, we took it. He did reference the Grampies at the bottom but reassured me the GPS said it went through. We got to the top after much effort and looked at each other.  A dead end due to a fence. “A classic Grampie trap” said the CN, and then we had to laugh. What else can you do?  We hiked our bikes back down the hill, but not before the CN loaded up large rocks on his rear rack as dog insurance. 

Well darn. Nothing to do here but turn around.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesSorry guys, it must have been the reference to us that jinxed it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI think you are right Thirty seconds after I referenced you guys we came around the corner and saw the barricades.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
More morning glory. It is everywhere.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Unscathed, we wheeled through El Pelayo, stopping for a picnic in a lovely spot. Here everyone was definitely enjoying a mid day break as the place was dead as a doornail. I was convinced the traffic on the highway was going to ease off because it was approaching 2 PM and everyone should be home for lunch and a siesta, right?  Unfortunately not, and it is the only way into Tarifa that we could figure out. On the flat and downhill we had an amazing shoulder. Going up was another story due to the double lane and I had a close encounter with a truck that will give me nightmares for days. The wind was a presence for sure. I got a kick out of it when the CN asked me if it was buffeting me too. Well yes!!!!  We couldn’t decide which was worse with the wind, uphill or downhill. I focused on the shoulder and trying to keep a steady line. Despite constant reminders to self, my shoulders were north of my ear lobes. We were riding up with the wind turbines. 

At least we had a safe way to get on the right side of the highway post picnic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wind turbines always mean windy conditions.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then suddenly we were at a mirador looking down at Tarifa. Stunning. We knew we were close and it was all downhill. 

Just wow.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
We both were taking pictures.
Heart 7 Comment 0
A happy cyclist. The end is in sight and it is all downhill.
Heart 8 Comment 0

Our hotel is fantastic, we made a dinner reservation and the day is already becoming a story. A birthday I will never forget for sure. We love Tarifa. We have had a great walk about, me sometimes feeling if I wasn’t holding on to the CN I would get blown off my feet. The old town is gorgeous and the whole place has a fantastic feel. A fabulous place for a 70th birthday, and our room number?  106 of course. Can you believe it?  We are so lucky and I am so happy. 



Our route to the incredibly secure bike storage at our hotel.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Tarifa.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
A torpedo on display.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The kite surfers were astonishing and the wind was absolutely howling.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our dinner spot, recommended by the hotel. It was fantastic.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Dinner and the wine were amazing. 

It is 8 PM. They had just opened. When we left an hour and a half or more later the place was packed. My hair looked great when we left the hotel, but trust me, gale force winds did nothing for my appearance.
Heart 9 Comment 6
Brett ClassenHappy birthday! Wish I was there to celebrate with you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou look great, we both think.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierHappy Birthday and congratulations on surviving the first day of your eighth decade!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyHappy Birthday Kathleen! What a fabulous way to spend your 70th birthday, cycling on the coast of Spain. Love reading about your exploits! Happy travels, hope you find a direction with less wind or at least have the wind at your backs! Cheers
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonYou look great! My hair looks wind blown all the time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rachael AndersonI have been meaning to tell you for ages that I now wear a band around my hair when I am riding. I got the idea from you. Game changer! No more sweat or worse, waterproof sunscreen in my eyes. So thank you for the idea and the complement.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

P

A tomato, avocado and fresh mozzarella salad to start.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cod for Keith.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tuna (enough for three people) for me. We forgot to take a picture of dessert.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqo3d4JYyq

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,174 km (729 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Suzanne GibsonHappy Birthday! A birthday you are sure not to forget! I wish you many more years of happy cycling.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersHappy Birthday Kathleen. Glad you arrived at Tarifa safe and sound with Keith carrying those extra rocks to protect you! Looks like a fabulous dinner celebration 🎉 Thanks for sharing your big day with us…Salud 🥂
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Suzanne GibsonThank you! We are hoping for many more years too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo David MathersThat piece of tuna was so huge and so delicious. We should have shared. It would have easily fed three and I felt so sad that I couldn’t finish it. It was a very memorable birthday.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetHappy (belated) birthday! Nice to spend it on your bike!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonHappy belated birthday! Sorry the first part of the ride wasn’t very pleasant but it sure was beautiful towards the end.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago