More Sights and Sounds in Seville - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2022

More Sights and Sounds in Seville

Seville

This morning over breakfast Keith was ready to return to the dentist and have his tooth extracted. I managed to talk him out of that, but we decided to stay another day in Seville to let both the ibuprofen and the antibiotics start to do their job.  This is a fantastic city, so neither of us are particularly unhappy about this turn of events. The important thing is for the darn tooth to hang in there for another month, without discomfort, I might add. Keith had yogurt for breakfast and he will be the incredible shrinking man at this rate. 

The lobby of our hotel, the Petit Palace Puerto de Triana. We are very happy with it. Great staff, great location and great breakfast.
Heart 3 Comment 0

As a result, I went out for a morning explore on my own while he rested and looked at the road ahead. We have a tentative plan moving forward and should be ready to ride tomorrow. Once I returned to the hotel we headed out together for an explore of all the little alleys in the Triana District, Santa Cruz  and along the river. Then we headed back to the Centro for some lunch and more exploring. 

The Seville Tower. A carbuncle on the skyline in our opinion. According to Wikipedia UNESCO was considering putting Seville’s world heritage sights on the threatened list because of the tower, so I guess we aren’t alone in our opinion.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A restaurant front that we liked.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Torre del Oro, a 13th century military watch tower.
Heart 6 Comment 0
All these old buildings need constant upkeep. This guy was slopping on white wash.
Heart 5 Comment 0
San Jacinto Church in Triana. More controversy in Seville. They started cutting down a giant ficus in front of the church and the courts ruled they had to stop even though work had already begun. I don’t see how the tree will possibly survive though. Keith carefully kept the stump out of this shot before we knew about the controversy. The stump was probably 3 meters, with multiple leafless branches.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Keith saw fans in another spot, hand painted, for 195 Euros. These were a bargain comparatively speaking, but not nearly as lovely.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Rio Guadalquivir. The only navigable river in Spain.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We loved this corner building.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We actually considered one of these. The horses are so beautiful.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We had lunch near the Mushrooms.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another beautiful corner building.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Flamenco store.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Lanny McDonald. We see him a lot in Europe. Just kidding! I forget who he is though.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraHa ha. Clearly a joke meant for a certain vintage of Canadian!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodGo Flames Go!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
In the park. A monument to Christopher Columbus and Queen Isabella.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rosina’s balcony. According to legend, this corner balcony of a charming building inspired the The Barber of Seville.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spices and teas in a small shop.
Heart 4 Comment 0
They smelled so good.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
It is a beautiful city. This is a couple of doors down from our hotel.
Heart 6 Comment 0

We stopped for an afternoon Sangria and had a fascinating experience. There was a group of people directly in front of us. They were having fun!  The part that riveted us is that some were deaf, some were blind and two were deaf and blind. Their ability to communicate was amazing. They held hands, touched faces, fingers flying. So cool. 



They were having a great time. Lots of laughter.
Heart 4 Comment 0

It was another wonderful warm day wandering the maze of streets and alleys. We had a quiet evening in. It started to pour outside!  Sunny skies in the forecast for as far ahead as we can see though. Lucky us!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 14
Scott AndersonYou two are such an inspiration. Even with Keith’s dental issues you keep such an upbeat, positive attitude. You make your own luck.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonBest wishes that Keith's tooth quiets down until you are back home! Looks like you are (otherwise) having a wonderful time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonThank you. The good news is that it feels a little bit better this morning. The dentist said it could take up to three days for the antibiotics to kick in. We aren’t going to bike too far from Seville for the next few days. We can stay within train or bus distance and still have some good rides and see some amazing things.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Suzanne GibsonWe feel so fortunate to have been in Seville and to have found such a good dentist who speaks English. He does feel somewhat better this morning so I have my fingers and toes crossed. He is going to get mighty tired of yogurt and milkshakes pretty soon!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen ClassenIs Carmona on your list? It’s not too far off and easily worth a couple of days.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersReally sorry to hear about your aching tooth, Keith. Hang in there buddy…I see paella 🥘 and a nice glass of red wine 🍷 in your future!
Take care.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenAntibiotics usually start to kick in within24 to 48 hours and by 72 hours there should be no more pain. It is usually not a good idea to pull a tooth while an active infection is ongoing, chances of systemic infection are increased, so Keith may as well just continue to tough it out and try to enjoy the sights. Here's hopingby the time you get this message he is well on the mend.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo Scott AndersonHi Scott - after hearing great things about Carmona we seriously considered carrying on to Carmona from Seville but after a planning session in Seville we have decided to head south to check out the Pueblos Blancos , possibly Gibraltar and Cadiz area. Its called planning on the go quite different than the Anderson’s approach. We are thinking we could possibly visit Carmona as we make our way back to Lisbon which will likely involve some train travel. Thanks gor your suggestion…much appreciated!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith ClassenProbably wise to take a pass on Carmona. Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo David MathersThanks David . Feeling much better after 1 day of antibiotics and some advil. Enjoying a little white wine as I write this. Short day today heading for the Pueblos Blancos tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt is so great to have a nurse to look after us on CycleBlaze. Your message is so reassuring. He is definitely feeling better, so I am hoping the antibiotics are doing their job.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonBut it is supposed to be gorgeous! Keith and I have had a good giggle here at your response. We are drinking wine and planning. Not sure that is a good idea but we seem to be enjoying it. I was thinking about you today when riding because you had your own dental issues this tour. What a pain, literally.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Keith ClassenWe loved Gibraltar! It was great seeing the apes!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenThat is good information. We are talking about going. Did you take your bikes or go hiking there?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago