Goodbye Portugal Hello Spain - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2022

Goodbye Portugal Hello Spain

Tavira to Islantilla

One more terrific Portuguese breakfast and we pointed the bikes towards Spain. Almost immediately after leaving the hotel we passed a sign that said, in English, Live in the Moment, Love the Moment and I smiled. A theme for the day. 

We started out on N125 with its wide and safe shoulder. It was a good ride, but we opted for Eurovelo 1 after about 5 kilometres. This time it was a great choice. We pedaled along on quiet roads and popped out at a tiny community with another amazing beach. 



One last look at our lovely hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped on this bridge at the side of the highway. That is EV1 down there. We are glad we avoided that section. The view was fantastic from the bridge too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our wide, bike friendly shoulder.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beaches everywhere.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful views.
Heart 7 Comment 0
We would have loved to have been walking this beach too.
Heart 8 Comment 0
A little village.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Swinging my leg over the top tube. Yoga pays off.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We bought some olive wood spoons here. Impossible to resist.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We continued on a combination of surfaces, usually good. It was a great ride. When we arrived in Vila Real de Santo António we asked for directions to the ferry. I had to laugh at the CN. The ferry left at 11:30 and it was 11:25. We were five kilometres away. Keith took off down the excellent bike path at a rapid pace. I raced behind him doing the math. There was no way we were going to get there in time. Turns out, ever the optimist, he was hoping the ferry would be late. It wasn’t of course, so relaxed and had a break at a café. 

This surface was actually pretty good, and very peaceful.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Coming into Vila Real de Santo António.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Optimists. It was very windy and a lot of fun to watch the kids.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A refreshing break.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our ferry.
Heart 5 Comment 0

So it was goodbye Portugal, hello Spain. The ferry was a riot. It was a windy crossing but we had fun in the brief fifteen minutes. We weren’t the only bikes on the boat, but we were the only people not on a day ride. 

It was a rustic ferry.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Spain in the distance.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The best place to be out of the wind, but we seemed to be the only people who realized it…or maybe we because we are on boats all the time we didn’t feel the need to be at the bow.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The bridge linking the two countries.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Coming into Ayamonte.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Once on the other side I ducked into Tourist Information, not a successful visit. While I was in there Keith started to chat to a couple from England who had ridden from Tavira on a rented Schwann tandem. We ended up chatting for quite awhile. They were just a hoot and we were astonished at the bike…and the achievement. It was a cruiser tandem, and they had never ridden a tandem before.  Once more we forgot to get a picture. They were headed back to Tavira after exploring Ayamonte. Amazing. 

Waterfront just off the ferry.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dodging the palm trees.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stopped for a picnic lunch and to book a room. There was a moment when we both realized our data wasn’t working. Then we both realized it was because we are in Spain. We are using esims this year, through Airolo and they worked just fine after we turned off Portugal and turned on Spain. Duh!   The ride to our hotel was great, on quiet highway, and for a short period on a bike route, another sandy, rough track. We bailed from that first chance we got. 

We have had quite enough of this.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Goats were crossing the road at one point.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Coming into Islantilla, where we are staying. The development is amazing and so is the number of golf courses.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then a nightmare check in for Keith. We arrived at the same time as two large, chatty Spanish families who wanted their rooms to be changed. It was quite the scene, and took quite awhile before we could be checked in to our huge apartment. Huge. Two bedrooms. We are very comfortable. 

Then the most magical evening imaginable. A wonderful walk to the waterfront, Sangria for me, beer for Keith, followed by clams and prawns.   The setting, the server and Google translate made for an amazing evening. 

Watching the families go by. At 8:30 at night there were still lots of people on the beach and in the water.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI love that kids can be out in the evening riding there bicycles in a safe spot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
So sweet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Football anyone?
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a spot to have dinner.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Divine cheesecake for dessert.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWow, that looks delicious!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenIt was … didn’t last long!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our second wedding of the trip 🥰
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wine at the local Spar on the way home.
Heart 1 Comment 1
David MathersGotta love the Spar!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A little ham anyone?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cutting ham. The meat counter was really busy.
Heart 3 Comment 0


It was a most wonderful day, and the young woman at the Spar checkout put an exclamation point on it. We are back to having to weigh produce yourself and tag it, but we didn’t realize it. There are no scales at the checkout. First came rapid fire Spanish explaining this, then the blank look on my face, then her laughter as she rushed off to weigh my oranges. She was just so absolutely great. People can be so kind. 

Heart 0 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyWelcome to Spain! You guys are having a wonderful trip. I am enjoying following along. Looks like you are continuing along the coast. Perhaps we will do that on our next swing through Andalusia. May your fab weather continue!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/v1vjkNLVmYO

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 703 km (437 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 5
David MathersYou guys are having a great vacation. Really enjoying following along …enjoy Spain 🇪🇸
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersYou guys are having a great vacation. Really enjoying following along …enjoy Spain 🇪🇸
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesOh, how we wish we were there instead of here!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great day! I’ve had the same issue with not tagging produce but they’ve always been so kind about it. I’m a lot more careful about it but some times it is hard to find where to do it. I love your journal and your great attitude!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHey now we ARE here, in Islantilla. Reading your blog from here is even more interesting.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago