Cadiz - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2022

Cadiz

The Bus was Great

The couple who run the Hotel Convento in Tarifa were absolutely wonderful. Then, of course, there was Wanda, the hotel dog. She was a calming and lovable presence in the lobby. A very zen dog.  It was a great place to stay. Oh, but the wind…just amazing, and evidently not unusual. Calm would be unusual. So, having boxed ourselves into a windy corner, we biked to the bus depot. 




Wanda was wonderful and very relaxed.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Doors in the lobby.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Now that we know (basically) the bus and bike drill in Spain, I wonder why we were anxious. But we were, me especially, and that is probably an understatement.  We arrived early at the bus depot and it was closed. It never did open, and I suspect it won’t until Monday morning. So no Google Translate reassurance available there. The helpful man the day before, using Google Translate, had told us we had to remove the front wheel and tie it up with string to take the bikes on the bus. I had researched and researched and RESEARCHED last night and there was no definitive answer. Some sites said bikes had to be bagged, some said the front wheel had to be removed, then bagged, some said you didn’t have to do anything, some said bus drivers hate bikes. Many said if there wasn’t room in the luggage bay under the bus you wouldn’t get on no matter what you did, others had priority. So we waited. And didn’t take the front wheels off. I wish everyone could have been a fly on the wall for this piece. Me anxious to take the front wheels off, the CN his usual calm self adopting the wait and see attitude, explaining it would only take a second if we had to do it. 



Waiting and hoping and still researching.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The CN had a back up plan. A cab, for an incredibly reasonable 150 Euro.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The closed bus depot.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then just moments before the bus arrived a helpful Spanish man who spoke English arrived too. He told us front wheels off, do it now, because you want to get the bikes on the bus before everyone else throws their luggage on to be sure they get on the bus. All right then!   So as the bus wheeled into the station the CN was desperately trying to release my ‘quick’ release. It was not budging. I was stressing. Big time. People around us were stressing for us. A couple of British woman were offering advice. Sheesh!  Now the both of us got a little stressed. I was pretending to be calm. Finally, with the help of his multi tool my damn wheel released. In retrospect, the whole thing was hilarious. Keith’s wheel cooperated perfectly, he had the electrician’s tape in his pocket (we elected not to use string) and we threw the bikes and bags under the bus. Literally. As it turned out, we had lots of time. Everyone had to buy their ticket from the driver who was totally focused on that and seemed oblivious to our bikes. 

We ended up being last on the bus.
Heart 2 Comment 0

So now we know. There will probably be another bus or two in our future and we will be a lot more organized. We fell into our comfortable seats and relaxed and then started to laugh. We also made a note of the fact that we were the only people I could see on the bus wearing our seatbelts. So Canadian. Safety first!  The bus ride itself was comfortable and low key. No worries about changing trains and racing up and down stairs in stations with no lifts. The wind, judging by the trees, made the bus the right decision. 

So many wind turbines. I wonder why? Oh right, the wind.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lots to look at on the ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Putting my front wheel back on was a heck of a lot less stress than removing it.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Cadiz is gorgeous.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Cadiz is stunning. We have randomly wandered, and discussed the fact that it feels way less touristy than either Seville or Ronda, we are not sure why. The old town is absolutely beautiful. Our hotel is amazing in so many ways and right in the heart of the old town. We should have taken more pictures of the room before we trashed it. 





Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Shortly before the panniers exploded.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Laundry hanging from every available possibility.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesIsn't that normal, at least for touring cyclists?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenWe always have something but this time it was a large washing machine load, and I probably overloaded that machine, so it got a bit crazy!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our room is amazing, the hotel is ancient.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Cathedral and its tower were impressive. The pedestrian areas are beautiful and abundant. The beach is dreamy. Cadiz could easily use another day. That decision hasn’t been made yet. Instead we sat on the rooftop terrace and drank wine and contemplated our good fortune. We will head out for dinner as soon as the laundry is out of the hotel washing machine. Sitting on the terrace, in a slip of a dress, warm, with an impressive view of the city and the water made me want to pinch myself. The wind is still blowing though!!!!

Heart 3 Comment 0
On the rooftop terrace.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Our hotel has four tower and you could climb to the top of one.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The views were tremendous.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cathedral from the roof of the hotel.
Heart 3 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyWhat a spot! I now love Cadiz, never been there, but so looking forward to seeing it one day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The port in the opposite direction.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another reflective moment. The breakfast room.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Waking about Cadiz.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Mike AylingThat's quite an old fig tree!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenIt was amazing, and there were several others, as big or bigger.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another massive one.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A ramp up to the tower instead of a spiral staircase.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We could see our hotel from up here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We managed a selfie!
Heart 7 Comment 0


Dinner was at a Michelin starred restaurant adjacent to the hotel. Absolutely delicious. Sitting outside to eat in October (no patio heaters necessary) is wonderful. So is squid in béchamel sauce. 

Our hotel and the CN.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 1,188 km (738 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 6
ann and steve maher-wearyOmgosh you nailed the bus drama in your writing. Hilarious because we've all been there. For us is was the bus from Bilbao to Salamanca. We stressed majorly. We were made to buy 12euro bike bags. Turns out the bus driver was totally cool and put the bikes in their own compartment. And the exploding luggage once you arrive in your room. Thanks for sharing! I've just read aloud your blog to Steve and we are chuckling. Thanks for our morning smile!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierIs it less windy in Cadiz? It looks like it, and I'm hoping that's true. We're scheduled to spend some time there this winter and your descriptions and pictures are whetting our appetites!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo ann and steve maher-wearyI am so happy we weren’t the only ones stressed by bus a bike. Why oh why isn’t there clear information online? Our driver was a riot because I swear he never noticed the bikes on the bus!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo Rich FrasierHi Rick - I am not sure but probably more windy in Tarifa than Cadiz generally. We were a bit unlucky having a couple very windy days in Tarifa which made it unsafe to ride. It was not as windy in Cadiz when we arrived yesterday afternoon. Very little wind today on our ride from Cadiz to Jerez de la Frontera. A great day!
Ps. There’s an app called windy which we use to check out wind conditions and forecasts. We find it quite useful.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike PigdenHi from Sandie and Mike
Glad you enjoyed Cadiz. It really has a great vibe. We are just on the train leaving Malaga Torromolinos back to Seville. Nice week of touristing and hanging out at a beach resort. Quiet rest of the week then onto Cordoba next week. We are really enjoying your adventures. Thx for taking the time to post them.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo Mike PigdenThanks for your note. Nice to hear from you and glad that you are enjoying your travels. That was a memorable fun evening we spent with you guys. We making our way north now to close the loop in Lisbon for our flight home. All the best!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago