Back to Portugal - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2022

Back to Portugal

Huelva to Vila Real de Santo Antonio

Before I start about today’s exploits I want relate an amusing story about our ferry ride to Doñana for our beach ride, just in case anyone else has the same experience. The day before the ride we asked at our hotel if there was a place we could get more information. The helpful English speaking desk clerk whipped out a city map, circled the park information spot and told us it was in the Ice Factory, which he helpfully wrote down on the map. Much searching by us, and no luck. We knew we were close though, so we asked at a restaurant. They found the English speaking employee who also said the Ice Factory. We explained we couldn’t find it. He helpfully pointed us to the building and you will see the problem below. 

And that is how we learned the Spanish word for ice!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today was a wonderful day. Nothing particularly exciting, but just wonderful regardless. Something new every day is amazing, but there is something lovely about familiarity too. Right down to knowing breakfast was going to be great. 

Leaving Huelva was easy and we elected to cycle out rather than take a cab across the forbidden bridge. Since the CN had the track on his phone the exit was straightforward. We were doing the reverse of the way we came in, without the wind. It always amazes me how everything looks completely different going in the other direction.   We had a big shoulder, moderate traffic once we were out of the city and some good service roads that paralleled the highway. 

This is right next to the highway.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Going in the right direction.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A peleton approaching.
Heart 2 Comment 0
School class we figure. Lots of smiles and peace signs when they realized we were taking a picture.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We were soon back in Gibraleon where we were briefly on the Eurovelo on the way into Huelva on our unexpected detour. This time we stayed on it for quite awhile. We had lots of time so it was a good time to check it out. The surface was good and the scenery great. Eventually it routed us back on the highway with its wide, safe shoulder and low traffic. 

An abandoned railway station we think.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This would be the spot! We remembered coming out at this point and going straight into the wind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gibraleon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of dogs barking here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poor donkeys. The flies were driving them crazy and they had no shade.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mountain bikers coming our way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the part we didn’t do going to Huelva. We were wanting to make time. The return trip time wasn’t an issue.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The surface was just fine.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was a great ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hectares of oranges.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just before the highway.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our lunch stop was hilarious. First, I think the CN was smitten with the beautiful Spanish lass who served us our cold drinks and didn’t care a whit that we picnicked at the café. Then there was the phone guy. The entire time we were there he paced back and forth on the patio and SHOUTED into his phone. It was hilarious, irritating, laughable and astonishing  at once. All we know is the person on the other end couldn’t get a word in edgewise. 

Stealth photo of the pacing, shouting phone guy. It was bizarre. It went on our entire lunch and we could still hear him as we exited back onto the highway.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After that it was more smooth highway riding. The orange groves went on as far as the eye could see. The goal was Ayamonte and the ferry to Portugal. We knew it ran every hour on the hour (just like home) so there was no anxiety about that. Familiarity again. When we rolled into town we knew where to buy the tickets, how it worked and what to do. 

Going through Lepe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The soil is so red here.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Beth ArtYou sure your not in Australia? Sure is red.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenIt felt like it today with the annoying Aussie flies pestering us today on some our climbs.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Almost at the ferry terminal.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ayamonte.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This bike was a wedding gift, 49 years ago!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetI like the cork-look fenders.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

So back to Portugal and the Chief Booking Agent outdid himself with the hotel. I feel liked I am in a little bit of heaven. The most amazing room in an amazing spot. Our bikes are stored next door to the church across the square. They should be safe there. There is a fabulous annual market taking place, a rooftop pool, complimentary wine and robes. My favourite thing in a hotel room. 

I have had a swim, worked on the journal and am going to go explore the market. The CN?  He is in his happy place. 

Admiring the view from the rooftop pool.
Heart 4 Comment 0
He deserves it!
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGreat happy place!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Just an amazing place.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The ceilings are high, so the doors are too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The market.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So many delicious things.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/vxOQ4nw1E2v

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,445 km (897 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhich hotel did you stay at in Huelva? And in Vila Real San Antonio?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Keith ClassenHi Steve - I sent you the names to the hotels to your email address with screenshots of the bookings.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago