A Short Ride and We’re in Seville - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2022

A Short Ride and We’re in Seville

Benacazón to Sevilla

Before leaving our gigantic hotel we had to take some pictures. This it is an aging beauty, and they don’t build them like this anymore. There was marble everywhere, incredible architectural detail and the CN was wondering about cost per square foot. It was also sitting on hectares of land. The grounds and pool were lovely. Unfortunately for us, the last day of the season for the pool was Sunday, so we could only admire it, not jump in it. It was also only 74 Euros, including breakfast. An excellent breakfast, I might add. 


It was a huge property.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Marble everywhere.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The reception area.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ceiling detail.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Seville was remarkably straightforward to ride into this morning. We were still glad we were doing it at the start of the day though. We rode on relatively quiet roads through small towns and the traffic began to build as we got closer to the city. About this time the bike lanes appeared.  Seville is very bike friendly and once we reached the city proper we were pretty much exclusively on bike lanes. We only had one moment of navigational confusion and the CN straightened us out quickly. 

Looking down on the Autovia again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical bike lane.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Coming through a neighbourhood above Seville.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The moment of navigational confusion.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gave us a great view of the city though.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I liked the approach to the city. It is a different kind of riding and you really see neighbourhoods, people living their lives, different styles of houses.  I find it all so interesting.  You really get a feel for a place and see so much more than the tourist attractions. We crossed the river on a bridge reserved for bikes, motorcycles, cars with at least two people and buses and could see the Puente de Triana to our immediate right. We rode by the Torre Triana so we could cross that off our list. 

Fabulous route into town. There weren’t any cars or buses while we went over the bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tour boat on the river.
Heart 3 Comment 0


Our hotel is right in the tourist zone and a great spot. We were able to check into the room right away, which meant we had all afternoon to explore. We have had a good wander in our usual random fashion, seen the Cathedral, had some beer, wine and tapas and are back in the room for a break. More Seville tonight and all day tomorrow. 

Beautiful building in the old town.
Heart 7 Comment 0
One tiny part of the cathedral. It is the fourth largest church in the world and the largest gothic church.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Fine details everywhere you look.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
It is so over the top it is hard to take in.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
There weren’t many people, particularly when I compare it to our experience at St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. A few tour groups (you can see one in the background) but lots of room to wander around a bit stunned.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Look at the size of those pillars.
Heart 4 Comment 0
From the exterior.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The tomb of Christopher Columbus.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Palace of San Telmo, the seat of the presidency of the Andalusian Autonomous Government.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Anyone know what kind of tree this is?
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonSome kind of fig. These are such astonishing trees.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyWe stayed in Tomares the night before so probably took the same route into the city, on small roads through neighborhoods and then cycle paths all the way in to the centre of town. A wonderful city to enjoy. We are enjoying reliving our trip through your fantastic blog. Thanks
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenThanks guys! And your blog has been very useful to us on our tour … we refer to it regularly. We are enjoying being regular tourists in Seville and are staying as extra day. And it also allows us some time to plan where we go from here. Planning is not one of stronger points… we like being flexible.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It was a downhill run into the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0



We are back from our evening see Seville after dark expedition. It didn’t last long. Seems we are tired after another great day of biking and walking. 

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 902 km (560 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0