A Palace in Sintra - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

October 22, 2022

A Palace in Sintra

Sintra

We awoke several times in the night to the sound of rain, and when we woke up for good in the morning it was still heavy rainfall. We watched the weather, and our weather apps while we enjoyed breakfast. We also considered our options. 


Hmmmmmm. Definitely raining out there.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The scene on the hotel lawn.
Heart 4 Comment 0
That is a balcony, not a fountain, really it is!
Heart 3 Comment 0

We had been hoping for a good hike today, but (don’t laugh) I was concerned about my shoes. Not that they wouldn’t be okay to hike in, they are just fine. That they would end up a muddy, wet mess was my worry, and since I only bring one pair of all purpose shoes that wouldn’t have been a happy prospect. We settled on a tour of the Peña Palace. It turned out to be a fantastic decision. We also got a hike in. It was a great day. 

An organized tour group setting out to explore the town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A river runs through it!
Heart 4 Comment 0

We left in heavy rain, Goretex, rainpants, umbrella, bucket hat, we had it all. The hiking trail to the palace was closed because of the rain, so we had to walk up the road before we got to the park that surrounds the palace. The road was just fine. Things became a bit goofy once we entered the park as the signage was poor, the GPS was all over the place and we had 12:30 entry tickets. They were very clear when I bought the online tickets that “there is no delay tolerance”. I was getting anxious as we hoofed it up. Turns out with my mature eyesight and without my glasses I read 11:35 as 11:55 and we had lots of time. The number of fellow tourists at the palace itself was intimidating at first look, but the people in charge had it very well organized and it was just fine. 

Approaching the castle.
Heart 7 Comment 4
ann and steve maher-wearyWe were in Sintra one night only and missed the castle. So great to see your pics and experience it through you. Thanks for sharing. Love your walk about. Next time
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful castle!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo ann and steve maher-wearyIt is impossible to see it all, isn’t it? And it is a big old world. We are so lucky to see as much as we do.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyDitto Rachel, I love Keith and your sense of adventure and your ability to roll with the unknown. Great blog!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Waiting for our entry time.
Heart 4 Comment 0
If she was a bride, we didn’t see the groom.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetIt looks to me like she dressed for Instagram rather than the weather.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Jacquie GaudetYou nailed it. Taking pictures in turrets, along the wall, and posing for anyone who would look.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The exterior needs a good paint job, but the interior was very interesting. It wasn’t the highlight of the visit for us though, that was the views. Lucky us, for a few hours the sun came peeking out as well. It was very windy and it all added up to a lot of fun. 

Welcome to the palace.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Dining room.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The detail in the whole place was extraordinary.
Heart 3 Comment 0
How Keith thought he might feel by the time we got out.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Illustration of the wind problem.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenHides the wrinkles!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The wall walk was quite something.
Heart 5 Comment 1
People came in both directions. I kept to the inside.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Look at that blue sky and the good looking guy.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We didn’t think the day could get any better, but the rain held off and we hiked through the park to the Cruz Alta (High Cross), which is the highest point in the Sintra hills. From there, we literally took every fork in the road, and there were many. At one point I found some steep steps, partially hidden by foliage. That is how we found Alto de Santa Catarina (St. Catherine’s Heights) and sat on Queen Amelia’s stone throne to admire the castle in blissful solitude. 

Up by the cross.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Not many people ventured this far.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a great spot! Isn’t it great to explore and find wonderful sites like this.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenThis park was such a surprise to us. Maybe it would be more crowded on a nicer day, but I don’t think so. The vast majority of Sintra tourists have come for the day and probably have a list they tick off, or are on an organized tour - Sintra, Caba da Roca, Cascais. No time to explore.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Enticing trails everywhere.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonAmazing! We need to go here!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenIt was such a treat.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Beautiful surprises too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I couldn’t resist these. We are so glad we went up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We both had to duck here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Queen Amelia’s throne.
Heart 4 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyA strong cycling lady on her throne and not her saddle today!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
View from the throne.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just a magical place. I like to think Ferdinand II would be happy that we enjoyed it so much.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Next up were the stables, the greenhouses and most fascinating for us, Condessa d’Edla Chalet. We were the only ones there, other than the gate keeper, and the history of the chalet was so interesting. The privilege of having it to ourselves wasn’t lost on us. It was built by King Fernando II and his second wife, the Condessa. They were both interested in botany, and they spent much time creating the incredible park with all its hidden secret spots. It is said Ferdinand II wanted to create the perfect fantasy forest and brought in exotic plant and tree species from around the world. We were constantly being surprised as we poked up paths by little waterfalls, gravity fed fountains, stone benches. A magical place. 

You could explore this park for days.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another hidden treasure.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Gravity fed fountain.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The trails were so much fun and not well used. Maybe there would be more people on a sunny day?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
These two even had their own comfortable home.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Condessa d’Edla Chalet. All the window and balcony trim is cork.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Views from the hike down.
Heart 3 Comment 0




Eventually, we headed back towards town, passing the Valley of the Lakes on the way down. Once out of the park, as we walked down the road we watched several tour buses head up to the palace. I assume they were picking up Lisbon day trippers. We were glad the traffic was one way, it would have been pretty hard to walk on the road with buses going in both directions. It was too bad the hiking trail at that point was closed. Not that there were many of us walking anyway. Most people were in tuk-tuks or cabs. When it started pouring again I wondered if they weren’t the smart ones. 

These four were sitting in front of a small waterfall, virtually motionless, in the Valley of the Lakes.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Back in town we dripped in to a restaurant and had our second indoor dinner of the trip. They didn’t want to serve food outside, even under their huge umbrellas. We could have drinks out there but no food. We were unclear about the logic of this, but got a table near the door with lots of fresh air. With a flight just four days away we want to stay healthy. We explained this to the server who told us he understood because his mom was elderly too, and being careful. Thanks buddy!

One great thing about Portugal, you can get dinner anytime. No more waiting until 9 PM. Good thing too because it was 5:45 and we hadn’t eaten since breakfast.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Back to the bed and breakfast.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Dinner was delicious. We have had an amazing day. We may go for a quiet walk tonight, or we may not. We are pretty cosy in our bed and breakfast, Palacio de Sintra Boutique House. We are still hoping to ride into Lisbon tomorrow. 

I didn’t think to start Strava in Sintra. Keith suggested it after a few kilometres.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
David MathersGreat to see you are making the most of your wet days at the end of the tour. Hang in there! Let us know if you need a ride home or anything else. We’ve really enjoyed following your adventure 👍
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo David MathersThanks David for the offer - we have our pickup all set up. Look forward to getting together when we get home. We just checked into our hotel in Lisbon and are going to spend a couple days here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWow! What a great way to make lemonade out of lemons! You probably wouldn’t have discovered this if the weather was good.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenI agree! We would have ridden into Lisbon, left the bikes and taken the train to Sintra as originally planned, which wouldn’t have given us as much time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago