April 21, 2017 - Vila Nova de Foz Coa to Sao Joao da Pesqueira: A couple of tough climbs through terraced heaven - A Dabble of the Douro then Leaning to Lisbon (Tour 17) - 2017 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2017

April 21, 2017 - Vila Nova de Foz Coa to Sao Joao da Pesqueira: A couple of tough climbs through terraced heaven

Hotel: Hotel Pesqdouro

WE knew from the map and the profile of the map that there was going to be some climbing involved today. Two climbs, the second of which was going to be something else.

The day's planned ride. The first climb appears tough and the second one seems crazy hard.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Preparing our stuff in the room, I went downstairs to check on the bikes only to see that a few people were having breakfast before the official hour of 8:30. Wanting to eat before the horde of kids came along we zipped down to eat. A simple meal, it consisted of Portuguese buns, cheese, meat, yogurt, and drinks. Though not fancy, it was more than enough. At least to get us on the road.

Loading the bikes was done with care, and I quickly found that I had taken along way too much stuff. In the end, it all fit into the panniers or over the top of the rack, and we were away. Away on the first cycling portion of this trip. Into a beautifully sunny morning with fresh air that was as clean-smelling as at home on a fresh summer morning.

Some pretty dramatic views in the first climbs in the Douro Valley area. Near São João da Pesqueira, Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The top of the first climb. Near São João da Pesqueira, Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started off slowly in case anything shifted or was not secure on the bike. Or in my case, in case the pedals were not attached. Everything was fine.

The first part of the ride was heading out of Foz Coa. Then suddenly we were on that first climb. Walking was involved, but the views were awesome out across the terraces. Up, up and up we went to about 750 m. It was work, sometimes walking and sometimes pedaling. We made it and it wasn't that bad, speaking for myself. I would have to say that all that nordic skiing that Alex and I did helped out big time. I could have cycled all day and could have gone up more hills. It felt good after struggling for the past few tours.

We took our time, took piles of photos, then gloried in the long descent through tiny villages. I misdirected the route at one point when the GPS directed the route up a ladder of a road into a tiny village and along narrow roads that were more like goat paths... only to emerge back onto N222.

The second climb was tougher but shorter, and a last gentle climb led straight into Sao Joao and the GPS brought us to the door of this amazing hotel, Hotel Pesqdouro, run by a woman and her daughter. Friendly, helpful, and a beautiful place, I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

The old historical centre of São João da Pesqueira, Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evening shot of passing traffic outside the hotel. São João da Pesqueira, Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The staff recommended the wine museum and a cafe for a bite to eat so away we headed. The museum was a fascinating glimpse into the region's Port-making and concluded with a glass of Port wine on the top floor which overlooked the village and across to the mountains.

Then all of a sudden it was 5 pm so time to return to the hotel where we wanted to upload some photos and videos from the day's cycling adventure.

In fact, the evening was spent chatting with the owners when they invited us into their house portion of the hotel, offered us local port wine, and compared our views on Portugal, Canada, refugees and Trump. Very interesting. Very homey.

Out the hotel window. São João da Pesqueira, Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out the hotel window. São João da Pesqueira, Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 42 km (26 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0