Halfway to Richland - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2018

Halfway to Richland

To clarify, we went all the way to Richland. From Halfway.

Before we begin today's post, please rise and join us in singing the national anthem.... No, wait.  I mean, please watch this short video I put together belatedly for our anniversary:

The Pine Valley Lodge
Heart 4 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonGreat job on the video. You’ve found a new career along with being a comedian.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Rachael AndersonHaha thanks. I took inspirational from yours. Although mine are handheld and a bit shaky.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnLove your Grumbyversary montage video. Great song to go with the videos. Happy 10th Anniversary
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Today we decided on a short ride because of the heat, the climb and Jen's crud. She is feeling better, except for a cough at night, so we'll take it easy today, if a 1200 foot climb in 5.7 miles is taking it easy. 

The accommodations last night were great. There was a small hitch when an alarm clock in another room started beeping at around midnight. Apparently those alarm clocks are designed to rouse even the most hearing-impaired from a sound sleep up to 200 feet away, because this thing was screeching. We were the only guests here so I called Tim, the property manager, and left a message. He came over and turned it off and we got back to sleep.

The Main Place
Heart 3 Comment 0

As we were packing the bikes in the morning, he came over and invited us to the breakfast buffet at the lodge across the street for free as an apology for the alarm clock. So we accepted. There were waffles, sausage, eggs, cereal, fruit, coffee etc. We also got to talk to him a bit. He has had some interesting jobs, including climbing communication towers to replace parts, install components, etc. It sounds terrifying to me. He has the customer service thing down.  If you're ever in Halfway, Oregon , stay at the Pine Valley Lodge or The Main Place. 

We left about 7:30 expecting another scorching day. Traffic was minimal, but it started heating up early and there was no shade, seeing as we are in the desert. But the lack of shade was more than compensated by the presence of blazing, intense sun and oppressive heat. 

I've started taking photos of interesting and not-so-interesting ranch gates. Here's one of the interesting ones.
Heart 6 Comment 0
About 3/4 of the way up, looking back on Richland
Heart 5 Comment 0
We got here at about 8:30, and it was already about 80 degrees
Heart 4 Comment 0
How I love these signs.
Heart 7 Comment 4
Brian WestenhoferAin't they the BEST!?!?!?!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Brian WestenhoferThey are !
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo They should put these signs up everywhere.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanBut they'd have to correspond to awesome descending grades.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
This one is not so interesting.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnTrue that a totally uninteresting entrance gate with a not so interesting backdrop - Ha Ha
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
But it's a dry heat.....
Heart 5 Comment 0

We descended into Richland with minimal effort at about 9:15.  We stopped to evaluate the RV park for shade before continuing into town. The owner came out and it turns out she was the person who recommended the dentist for Gay in Baker City.  

Heart 4 Comment 1
Dee Fortesuch a cool looking town!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 3
J. BurgraffYou know Prineville is a nice place to decompress, just sayin! The trailer isn't perfect, but it's private and the people who live in the house are super duper. So, if you want several weeks to make some plans and rest up, we'd love to have you. I won't make you chop to much wood, I promise. And you can drive my old truck around if you need some transportation.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo J. BurgraffI've heard those people in the house are activist hippie subversives. We will be in touch about our timing and arrival to your fair city.
Thanks!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
J. BurgraffTo Ron SuchanekCould be a rebel or two onsite, but lately, we are only overthrowing loads of dirt and sod. Can't wait to see you both.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We headed to the Hitching Post general store and were impressed by the selection of stuff,  but also by the taxidermied critters everywhere, including a large mountain lion in the Ding Dong aisle! Sadly we neglected to take any photos. The motel is next door and is owned by the store owners, so we paid for the room, with kitchenette ($87!), and with high hopes we went over. We were underwhelmed. It wasn't nearly as bad as the Belair, but it could have been cleaner, and way over-priced at $87. But it had air conditioning and sugar ants, (no extra charge for the ants) so we sequestered ourselves there napping and writing the blog. We have been discussing what are next move is after getting to Portland.  We have offers of lodging with friends and will take them up on that but we also will need some space to decompress and make some decisions before we get on the train bound for Palm Springs for my neice's wedding in September. We were able to secure an AirBnb for part of the time in Portland, and we'll figure out the rest. 

We made dinner of salad, beans and canned chili and went for a walk in town which didn't take long. It cooled off nicely around 8:30. 

Tomorrow is Baker City.  

Heart 4 Comment 0
Distance:14 miles
Elevation Gain: 1300 feet, mostly in 5.7 miles

Today's ride: 14 miles (23 km)
Total: 1,788 miles (2,878 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Andrea BrownThat was a fun video. I see what you did there with the bridge.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonOh, terrific. Now Rachael is going to want an anniversary video too. Could you do it Ron? You’re so good at it!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonI stole the ideas from Rachael!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Andrea BrownThanks but you'll have to tell me what you saw with the bridge. Was it some unintended brilliant meaning?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Andrea BrownThe "bridge" of the song (where there is a change of melody or an instrumental break from the verses) corresponds with riding across the physical bridge on the trail. Of course you intended that, or let's just say you did.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanI think everything you do is brilliant and unintended.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Andrea BrownOh that! Of course. Sure. That goes without saying.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanThis comment cracked Jen (and me) up. I like to tell myself that the unbrilliant things I do are unintended. But we know the truth.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnHa Ha Ha youz guys are just cracking us up
Reply to this comment
5 years ago