Copperfield to Halfway: A Short Day - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2018

Copperfield to Halfway: A Short Day

Heart 7 Comment 0

Because I kept the 2 of us up coughing much of the night (sorry Ron!!), we opted for a short, 18-mile ride from Copperfield Campground to Halfway. The climb was a gentle 1000 feet, and was easy with a 6am departure, cool temperatures, and almost no traffic on highway 86.

Our first glimpse of the Wallowas.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The landscape changed dramatically over the short distance - from the barren hills of Hells Canyon to green pastures, a return of evergreens, and the striking appearance of the Wallowa Mountains. With the absence of traffic, we could hear an incredible variety of birds. I think I may have even heard a loon(?) Between the birdsong and the visually stimulating landscape, I forgot about the respiratory gremlins. And before we knew it, we were in Halfway!

Entering Halfway
Heart 4 Comment 0
I'm imagining the conversation at the street naming meeting: Bob: How about Lanced Boil Road? Bill: Nah, that's terrible! I vote for Staph Infected Gaping Wound Drive. Tim: You guys are lame. It's gotta be Murdered Baby Street. Mayor: Sigh. You guys are no help. I'm invoking my mayoral privilege. The road shall henceforth be called Slaughterhouse Road! (Cheering)
Heart 6 Comment 0

The name of the town comes from its location, which is half way between Pine and Cornucopia. Another interesting tidbit is that in 1999, during the dot-com frenzy, Halfway agreed to change its name to Half.com for one year. In return Halfway received $110,000 and some computers for their schools.

Most important to us, as we rolled into town, was that Halfway has great eateries and air-conditioned lodging. We went to The Main Place for breakfast, where Ron ate what he described as "The Best French Toast Ever". The cook said it was her grandma's recipe. I had a breakfast burrito, which was also quite tasty. When we were done, the cook told us there were fresh cinnamon rolls, so of course we had to try one - also delicous!

The Main Place
Heart 4 Comment 0

During this feeding frenzy we talked with Bill and Sue, a couple from Meridian, Idaho. They said they had seen us riding yesterday and that they were impressed, but also thought we were crazy to be out in the intense heat. I assured them that on hot days we always start early and we're almost always off the road by 1pm. We had a great time talking with them, and before we left Sue gave us their phone number and said we have a place to stay if we're ever in Meridian. More unexpexted and much-appreciated kindness!!

After breakfast we walked across the street to Pine Valley Lodge to check out our options. It's hard to describe how cool Pine Valley Lodge is ... a few historic structures that have been renovated and decorated with colorful Western and Native American art. They are surrounded by beautiful landscaping and outdoor lounging areas. Across the street are the The Main Street Shack, a full vacation rental house, and The Main Place, a collection of rooms above our breakfast restaurant. For the great price ($55), we chose The Main Place. We had a simple room with a comfortable bed and access to a common living area and 4 shared full baths. Lucky for us, we were the only guests that night so we had the whole place to ourselves!

Heart 5 Comment 2
J. BurgraffMickey and I will have to check this place out, very cool! Along with the Sportsman's Lodge in Montana.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo J. BurgraffYes, both are great!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
The room at Main Place
Heart 3 Comment 0
The common area. We were the only guests so we had it to ourselves
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hello, police? I'd like to report a suspicious character hanging around town....
Heart 5 Comment 3
Li LaIf you turn that phone booth sideways, it sure looks like a salon hair dryer and then Ron can dry his hair. Haha.
If you are heading along the Columbia.... catch up on the news about the forest/wild fires.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Li LaYour right! It takes a long time for my hair to dry.

We are coming in at Oxbow and Baker City and continue along 26. Hopefully we'll miss the fires.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnIt's a good thing you are reporting a suspicious guy hanging around town -he could be trouble ;-}
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

After we got settled Ron checked in with Gay. He was able to get into a dentist in Baker City yesterday and had to have his tooth (a molar) pulled. Ouch! He'll get an implant when he returns to Virginia Beach. He said he was feeling better today and would probably be back on the road tomorrow.

We took the day to rest and stay out of the high-90's heat. And then we went downstairs for dinner. We both got the chicken dinner which included baked potatoes, squash, and the most mutiple-vegetabled salad we'd had since we left Oregon. Many restaurant salads we've encountered only had wilted iceberg lettuce and soggy croutons, so this was a real treat.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Dee Fortemultiple-vegetabled! haha!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 3
J. BurgraffJen this might be hard to find, but NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) is a supplement that reduces phlegm and cough and eases expectoration. It's an amino acid and perfectly safe to take. 600 mg - 3 x per day!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo J. BurgraffWe used to nebulize that in the hospital. Is what you are talking about a pill?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
J. BurgraffTo Ron SuchanekYes, I take it in pill form, haven't been able to get my IV bags yet :) in order to get good absorption, I try to have an orange or orange juice with my meal. It seems to help. They also use it often for Ibuprofen poisoning. It's one of those all around supplements. It really helps me loosen mucus. I know, exciting topic.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Halfway was a great place to spend an almost-down day and hopefully the quiet time and cool air will put my respiratory system back on the right track!

Today's ride: 18 miles (29 km)
Total: 1,774 miles (2,855 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesPlease guys - if Jen is not feeling better soon and especially if she is coughing up coloured sputum please please plesse see a doctor. Dodie says this is sent out of care and concern.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekThanks Steve and Dodie, we are keeping an eye on it. Her sputum is almost clear. The biggest issue now is coughing fits at night, which deprive her (us) of sleep. Benedryl helped her a couple nights ago so I'm insisting on it again tonight. Thanks for your concern and input. The good thing is we don't have a time frame so we can do shorter days in.
Ron
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonHalfway! Now you’re getting into country we know something about. We.had breakfast here about 25 years ago on a loop of the Wallowas.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonThis part of the state is beautiful,. Especially when you get closer to Joseph/Enterprise and Eagle Cap.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnJen, mom and I are praying hard for a full recovery real soon! We wish you were feeling as great as you look in all the pictures. :-)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago