To Salzburg: Is this the Monsoon? - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2014

To Salzburg: Is this the Monsoon?

The weather was momentarily fine when we left the hotel. We were following the Salach river so we anticipated an easy ride and it was most of the time. We had a wonderful time to start with swooping along the wild water. After a while we entered a very tight gorge which means of course a lot of climbing as you climb up and over bluffs. This was near the Austrian/ German border and in these border regions there are always poor tracks and signage for a while and this was indeed the case.

Once we entered the rather lovely town of Bad Reichenhall the track became really easy and the signage was amazing. A good job really as the heavens really opened and it felt as if the monsoon had come to Austria, I doubt if I have ever been so wet cycling. I dripped into the Tourist Information and after the initial horror at the price of hotels here we settled for one that is indeed very comfortable.

A long hot shower was wonderful and all our possessions are spread around drying. Having regained our composure we put on all our warm clothes and went off to explore Salzburg in what was now only light rain. We found the 'egg' shop which I well remember from the last time we came and I dropped and broke an egg. Very embarrassing. A visit to the Dom followed and we wandered back finding a great supermarket so we will have a pretty yummy meal in our room.

Along the wild Salach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where to next
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salzburg is umbrella town today. This is when the very heavy rain had stopped
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the egg shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
The end of a pew in the Dom
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mozart's baptismal font
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view of Salzburg everyone knows
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking the other way down the Salach River
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,390 km (863 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0