To Rothenburg - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2014

To Rothenburg

We had a wonderful breakfast this morning by far the best we have had. There were huge bowls of beautiful berries and all sorts of other fruit all meticulously prepared. For the first time the boiled egg was the perfect German boiled egg. Straight away we came to the Market which had set up in the square. We wished we hadn't stocked up with fruit and cheese yesterday. There was one stall selling baked cheese cake only. He had only three varieties natural, poppy seed and cherry. Like you Steve and Dodie we chose cherry - we are yet to eat it but I am sure it will be very good. The way out of town was first through the parks and then we followed the Tauber, often going quite high for a while then swooping down. Today is a religious holiday for catholics (I am not sure what one). We came to one little church with lovely singing coming from it. Peeping in it was a beautiful church and was absolutely packed with people.

One thing that really impresses me is that the really quite small towns and villages have some sort of industry associated with them and being Germany this is invariably neat. I think it would be an excellent idea if Kiwi parliamentarians took a cycle tour in Germany. Not only would they see how to organise cycling but probably more importantly they would see how regional development can really work and that it is not necessary to have all our industry concentrated in a few (mainly one) places.

The weather was overcast and rain threatened but the cool conditions made for pleasant cycling. Along the way we met a couple of groups who recognised our New Zealand flags one group had a son studying in Auckland and the other had toured the country doing a considerable amount of hiking. Now they were on a cycle tour with their grandchildren over this long weekend. It was raining when we got to Creglingen so instead of our usual picnic we went into the bakarie for lunch. I just love watching the locals come in and buy their brochen from the invariably good humoured women who run them. The selection of breads and rolls is fantastic, Ken who is the bread buyer loves his morning trip to the bakerie to provision us for day.

After Creglingen the Tauber Valley becomes very narrow and steep sided and the Radweg goes right up the sides then sweeps down to the next small village in the bottom beside the river. It is rather hard going but I expect it is good for us!

Rothenburg was a real surprise to us. All the other places had been down beside the river but it is high up and extremely heavily fortified. It is a real work of art and of course a mecca for tourists. At the moment there is a wine festival on. I had expected it to be busy so had booked a hotel last night, much to our amazement we walked straight past it as we came into town . We have showered and enjoyed wandering around with all the other tourists. I have even given some Aussies advice on what to look for when buying a Cuckoo Clock.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The cheese cake shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Deutz all beautifully restored and ready for the next tractor show
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Transport to church - there were just as many the other side
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch time stop in the rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was an amazing contraption - the solar panel on the back operated a small fridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
The streets of Rothenburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was such a pity the weather was so bad for the wine festival
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 703 km (437 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0