To Ottenshein - 9km before Linz: A really easy day - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2014

To Ottenshein - 9km before Linz: A really easy day

Today was despite the distance about the easiest days ride we have done. The route was paved the entire way and really was completely flat. As usual we didn't see the sun all day but it was a real bonus we weren't rained on all day.

Leaving Passau is very noisy as you are on a dedicated cycle way beside a very busy road, It looks peaceful and quiet over the other side of the river. The Donau is now a big river as it has been joined at Passau by the now very big Inn and the small llz. It was interesting to see cruise liners coming in early this morning and tying up at Passau no doubt to give the passengers a day or part of a day in Passau and a chance to go to the organ concert. At the end of the day while we were wandering around exploring this place I saw the one I had watched out our bedroom window docking this morning powering past on its way to Linz which was now only 9km away.

Shortly after Obenzell we left Germany (which will be the last time on this trip) and back into Austria. The track now is well away from the road and winds its way around small places till eventually you get to a wonderful little ferry that takes you across the Schlgen bend. Here there is a very tight gorge and there is a route on one side of the river only. Very soon we came to Inzel where I had booked accommodation for the night but it was far too early and we had lots of riding left in us so luckily I was able to cancel our booking and we pushed on for about another 40km. The gorge despite very little habitation is actually lovely to ride through - we kept leap frogging with people we had been seeing all day and this was fun. The end of the gorge brought us a welcome coffee and shortly afterwards we came across a German cyclist that we had ridden with for quite a long time earlier. The poor guy was having a terrible time with his bike. Something dreadful seemed to have happened to the gears and the cable was completely loose. He was able only to ride in the lowest gear with his legs going like a windmill and was reluctant to go back 4km to the bike shop I had seen. The whole bike actually looked as if it would fall to bits any moment and I doubt if it has ever seen an oil can. I can't worry about him I am not his mother! (or Grandmother)

Making beautiful wooden boats
Heart 0 Comment 0
On board our first ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
There it goes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the gorge
Heart 0 Comment 0
An amazing machine that cuts the grass by remote control
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry on the wire
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching the other side
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wooden carvings in the church were beautiful
Heart 0 Comment 0
More carvings
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church from the outside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very handy should you get a puncture
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 89 km (55 miles)
Total: 1,786 km (1,109 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0