Through the mountains in the rain to Lofer - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2014

Through the mountains in the rain to Lofer

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We wonder what these are they seem to be on all farm houses and some in the towns. Does anyone know
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small oasis in the middle of the rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another way tooooooooooooooo travel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ken writes

The meal last night was next door at large restaurant - quite a magnificent establishment with views over the valley.

Today we woke to low clouds but no rain. By the time we had had breakfast it was starting to rain and it persisted to midday. As well as that we had trouble following the Mozart Radweg at first and found ourselves high in the hills having to push the bikes most of the time. The views would have been spectacular - not so good with mist and rain! However we pushed on - what else could we do. The track levelled out enough for us to ride most of the time and we got better at finding and following signs. Part of the trouble is that there is quite a discrepancy between our Bikeline map and the signs. The signs won in the end.

We were going among large house/barns and lots of green grass. Often the track took us right around houses. We felt a bit intrusive but that is where the Radweg took us. basically we went from one valley to another - sometimes over a lowish pass sometimes through a gorge. We were separated from traffic almost all day except for one stretch where we put on our rear facing red flashing lights.

Midday found us climbing out of Erpfendorf where the rian nearly stopped so we stopped for our lunch of bread ,cheese and a nectarine. The next small town was Waidring where the Mozarts (father and son) spent their first night on their second trip to Italy on August17th 1771. The town we finished at, Lofer was their first stop from Salzburg in the middle of winter December 13th 1764 on their first trip to Italy. On both occasions they must have been heading for the Brenner Pass.

The last few km to Lofer were great doenhill on a good track - past some walkers on the Camino. Lofer is a pleasant little town with lots of empty zimmers and bedraggled holiday makers.

Todays route has been one of the toughest days cycling we have done - particularly because of the weather, but it is entirely manageable and great.

The reward at the end of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,340 km (832 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0