Passau: Will we make it this time? - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2014

Passau: Will we make it this time?

It didn't look as if the weather was too bad when we looked out this morning. Heavily overcast but just a very few spits of rain. However when we got going it just got heavier and heavier with no let up for the first about 50 km. The track today was unsealed most of the way and with all the water around the bikes and us soon got completely filthy, it was no good trying to dodge big muddy puddles we just had to plough straight through them. At the pretty little town of Obernburg we found a backerie and dripped in for a coffee and pastry. We did not see a single other cyclist this whole way.

Not long before Scharding the rain lightened a lot and then stopped. We were looking for food and outside a likely looking place found George and Chris. They are from Sydney and on their first cycle tour, 4 weeks starting in Salzburg and going to Vienna - they thought the weather must always be like this here but the locals assure us it is very unusual. Arriving in Passau was important to us as those of you who have read previous journals will know and has meant a detour of about 200km or so. We have managed to find the same Pension we stayed at last time at the very reasonable rate of 60E and will stay here again tomorrow night. Our room has a wonderful view overlooking the Danube and we can watch the cruise-liners and the swans sailing along past our window. There is a great bike shop at the corner and although the bikes have nothing specifically wrong we have dropped them in for a good going over and will pick them up tomorrow.

The event we are here for is at midday tomorrow and we will sure be there in plenty of time.

Our hotel in Braunau
Heart 0 Comment 0
The only other cyclists around
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bit of rain doesn't put him off
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our coffee stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
The track posed some problems
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding with George and Chris
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the Inn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking out our bedroom window
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 1,697 km (1,054 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0