From Ausberg to Landsberg am Lech - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2014

From Ausberg to Landsberg am Lech

It wasn't a good idea to do such a long day yesterday. Arriving late means that you really don't have a good look around . Ausburg is a a fairly big city and I am sure has lots to offer and we certainly didn't do it justice at all. We had been particularly wanting to see the Holbien paintings in the cathedral and of course we were too late to try and hunt down the cathedral. Really the city was a bit big for us and we are much better in smaller places like this wonderful little town of Landsberg where we are tonight.

We had a bit of a walk around after breakfast and by some miracle we found the information. What is more they had the Via Claudia Augusta book that we had lost yesterday. With this we were able to find our way out of town. The ride was first through a gloomy forest. When we emerged we were traveling beside a road which goes through what looks like miriads of built up areas which I suppose are interesting if you like advertising hoardings - all very neat but we have been spoilt. We were in the middle of a massive plane and it seemed as if it was muck spreading day for the farmers and their huge tractors were very busy carrying large loads of muck from the barns. The riding of course was pretty easy though we had a slight up hill all the way.

The joy of the day was when we got to this marvellous place Landberg am Lech. It is just the sort of place we love there is a wonderful pedestrian main square with its buildings not quite in line. Our hotel is in the middle of this lovely square. As I came out of the Information Ken was talking to a young woman from Dannavirk (NZ) she has lived here for a bit over a year with her boy friend and she is working translating German to English. After our showers we really enjoyed the town. The 15th Century church is a huge Baroque church. It is of course highly decorated and has a truly magnificent Baroque organ which they are justifiably very proud of. We walked down to the Lech and like all the eis eaters in the eis cafes marvelled at the strength of the water rushing over the weirs.

A tiny bakarie coming out of Augsberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ausberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rubbish day
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is an early (probably 40s) a Schluter. Single cylinder, air cooled diesel .Unrestored but clearly in going order - the first of that model I have seen K
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gates of Landsberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lovely square
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rathaus
Heart 0 Comment 0
See the trombone player on the detail of the church ceiling
Heart 0 Comment 0
The magnificent Baroque organ
Heart 0 Comment 0
The weirs on the Lech at Landsberg
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 956 km (594 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0