Florsheim to Seligenstadt: Passing through Frankfurt - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2014

Florsheim to Seligenstadt: Passing through Frankfurt

The Radweg today had perfect signage and wound us skilfully through the suburbs and industrial areas that are on either side of Frankfurt. It was a very pleasant ride but lacked the woo factor of the previous days. After the Rhine the Main seems a very small and quietly flowing river, it is surprising that such huge barges and the big passenger cruisers are able to use it. The first lock comes shortly before Frankfurt. I think that there must be some sort of traffic control on it as it looks far to narrow in parts for big boats to pass. These rivers are such a wonderful feature. Not only do they provide fantastic transport but people are really using the shores. They are picnicking, walking, roller blading, cycling and generally having a fun time in this beautiful summer weather. We actually had the paths almost to ourselves until about 11am when after what must be a Sunday lie in the paths were full.

When we came to Frankfurt we didn't cross over to the old town as we had spent a week there a few years ago while Ken was at a conference. Instead we just drank a coffee and admired it from afar.

We were keen to escape the surrounds of Frankfurt so made for Seligenstadt which is around 35 to 40km past the centre. This is a wonderful little town that looks as if it comes straight out of Grimm's Fairy Tales. This is not at all surprising as Hanau where the brothers Grimm were born is only about 10km away. I think that Seligenstadt is now a place where the citizens of Frankfurt come for a weekend outing. Many seemed to be on bikes but of course there are big car park buildings just outside the old town. When we arrived around 2pm there was a major feeding frenzy going on. I think it is compulsory when you come here to have a massive ice cream so we had to oblige. Because it is largely a day outing place there is not a lot of accommodation and we were very lucky to get a room in this charming old guesthouse overlooking the market square.

This bridge seemed to be entirely for cyclists and walkers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Opposite Frankfurt
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were rides for the children
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken coveted this Ape
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing and picnics on the Main
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ice cream town
Heart 0 Comment 0
More ice creams
Heart 0 Comment 0
And our compulsory ice creams
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town gates
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down the street
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 374 km (232 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0