Cycling in the Czech Republic and Poland - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2014

Cycling in the Czech Republic and Poland

Cycling in Germany and Austria is very easy there is a great infrastructure for cycle tourists and it is easy to get very good maps like the Bikeline books and radwegs are often well signed. Also accommodation is easy to get.

Things are not the same in the Czech Republic or Poland.

Czech Republic
I was able to buy an atlas of cycle routes in the Czech Republic from a Czech web site before I left home. This was helpful but not as helpful as the ap I download onto my iPad - Galilao Pro, I put open cycle maps on to it and if you look at your route before you leave it is almost impossible to get lost because your actual position is always shown on the map. We followed the Greenway (M5) from basically Vienna to Krakow - this in the Czech part of the route is well marked but tends to wander all over the place seeking out hills! There are also cycle routes going all over the place often with numbers that will be confusing. It is not an easy cycle as there are lots of hills but we really enjoyed it - we had no problem with accommodation though at times used booking.com. It was certainly not as easy in this part of the country as when we rode from Germany through Prague to Linz a few years ago. Prices certainly are low and you eat and sleep well. We seldom had to ride on roads with any significant traffic and when we did we found it no problem and the traffic considerate of cyclists.

Poland
Once we entered Poland things were different in that there appeared to be no infrastructure for touring cyclists, we were still on the greenway to Krakow but it was marked only very occasionally,however still showed up on Galileo. As far as paper maps are concerned there are no cycle specific maps, we bought the most detailed road atlas that we could and in conjunction with the GPS this worked well and with Galileo we always knew exactly where we were. Many of the roads we have ridden on are very small country roads, these have virtually no traffic so are great to ride on but they tend to have really terrible surfaces - they really are just a series of mostly mended pot holes. However when you get off these it is terrible as the roads are very narrow and have no hard shoulder - the traffic is heavy but again we found the drivers considerate on the whole. The day we rode out of Krakow there was no other option and the ride terrifying - partly because of the weather. We therefore chose not to ride into Warsaw and got a train for the last part. It is easy and cheap to travel by train in Poland. In the more remote areas we found it difficult to find accommodation (it was very good when we found it), we regretted that we didn't have a tent with us for emergencies. The very best thing about Poland is that it has wonderfully warm, generous, friendly and helpful people. We are certainly glad that we came here although at times it was very hard. This is a fascinating country that has gone through so much and is facing the future with optimism.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0