By train to Warsaw: Drama at the stations - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2014

By train to Warsaw: Drama at the stations

Train journeys with bicycles are something we always dread so we were rather concerned as to how it would all work out today. Our easiest train to Warsaw with only one change left at 12.20pm from Tomaszcow and it was only around 10km from Spala. We had a leisurely and too big breakfast before setting out. Still we arrived at the station about 2hours before the train was due to go so decided to go into the town for a coffee. Found a little bakery that made coffee so felt very pleased. The lady in the shop proudly showed us her bike which is her main form of transport and then insisted on feeding us up with cake. I can't get over this spontaneous generosity of the Polish people. Then back to the station and now only about 25 minutes to go till the train left. We were just congratulating ourselves when Ken said "Where is my backpack". The obvious answer was of course he had left it at the coffee stop. Off he set at the speed of lightning. I felt rather concerned as I knew he would take risks but about 3 minutes before the train was due he was back.

The rolling stock of the trains we were travelling in is very new and we were able to just roll our bikes into the special bike place, we bought our tickets from the conductor and he was able to tell us what platform our train would leave from at Koluski where we had to change. There were 19minutes between trains which was a good thing as we had the usual flights of stairs to negotiate between platforms. Another new train and our bikes and luggage safely aboard. I must say the railway employees in Poland are not service oriented and although there were five railway men in the carriage we got into not one lifted a finger to help - just looked rather brassed off that we had had to get into the carriage where they were having such a social time. It is amazing how much work is being done on these lines - new rails, sleepers etc which of course makes the journey a bit slow.

Off with no trouble at the central station and then the next drama started and this time it was all my fault. We looked around and much to our delight we saw a moving walkway going up like a ramp to the next level. Up we went me in front and Ken called out "Put on your brakes" which I did, the only problem was that I didn't take them off at the top. Over the bike and I went, a man at the top grabbed both me and the bike and hauled us off but not before I had knocked Ken and his bike completely over. He couldn't get up and the people behind were coming up fast. Our hero to the rescue again, he managed to get the bike off and he and the young woman behind Ken dislodged him. Lucky no damage to anyone and the rescuers seemed to think it rather a joke. I certainly felt like a complete idiot.

Just by the station was a tourist information and we have booked in to this hotel for two nights to see what it is like before we commit ourselves for the rest of the time here. The cable tie on Ken's rack has come apart and unfortunately the other ones we have are not long enough so it seems that one of our main sightseeing activities tomorrow will be looking for a shop selling cable ties. Ken has gone to the nearby supermarket for food as neither of us feel much like going out to find somewhere to eat.

There are lots if little kiosks selling a strange array of items - they are dark inside so you can barely see the seller. Of course we can't use them as we are 'language challenged' and you have to ask for what you want
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our coffee stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful looking football field
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken was horrified by this add for a power drink called Las Vegas in a big sporting complex
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rather grim looking railway statin
Heart 0 Comment 0
All on board
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken seems to think it necessary to check the train is going in am appropriate direction. Maybe this is a result of our experience in Hungary a few years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The railway workers having a social time
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 2,949 km (1,831 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0