Trieste - We Love Trieste - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2018

Trieste - We Love Trieste

Trieste

We love Trieste. It is a little known corner of Italy and we might not have discovered it if not for Scott and Rachael Anderson. They gave us a great preview. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/dubrovnik2018/in-trieste/.  Thanks guys! It is an amazing place and we were lucky enough to experience it on a warm sunny day. Tonight, after an Aperol spritz waiting for the sunset, followed by wine with dinner, the pictures are going to tell the story. 

The cathedral across the street. Maybe five meters from the door of our hotel. Spectacular. Stop one today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Does that pink building look like a hotel to you? No wonder we had trouble finding it. The Hotel All’Arco is fantastic. We highly recommend it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We just happened by a wee bit of public art. Quite a monument.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trieste has a real working harbour. We like that.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The water is incredibly clear. That is a dinghy down there, along with some infrastructure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The reflections on the water were incredible.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Helen StarkThis is a potential award-winning picture. You should enter it somewhere. Just spectacular!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Keith isn’t sure if he was a few seconds too early or a few seconds too late with this photo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sailboats everywhere. What they bill as the biggest regatta in the world starts Friday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
50th anniversary year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Setting up. Too bad the merchandise tent wasn’t open 😜.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What luck we had with the weather. Note the line of tents for the regatta in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A little navigating by tacky tourist map.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Buoys getting ready for the big boys.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just a note about the regatta pictures...as sailors we love boats and this stuff was fascinating for us. They expect 2100 boats on the same start line with the same start!  What a concept. They even have Optimists out there. If you aren’t a sailor, Optis are the boats kids usually start in and look a bit like a bathtub with a mast. We wish we weren’t missing it, but maybe it is a good thing as evidently there isn’t a hotel room to be had next weekend. 

The Greek Orthodox Church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The buildings are amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amazing views everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even the buskers were at a more refined level.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What an amazing building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of my mottos when travelling...remember to look up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roman amphitheater.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Remember, remember to look up!
Heart 1 Comment 0

There is so much to see here. We were captivated. The narrow alleys reminded us of Venice. The pedestrian areas with the cafes spilling out into the street are part of what we love about Europe in general. Roman ruins and ancient walls around every corner, spectacular buildings, a castle to visit. The Adriatic at the foot of it all. Wow. 

Walking up to see, in the same area, a cathedral, a castle, Roman ruins, an armoury museum, monuments and archeological finds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Right next to the castle another spectacular cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also right next to the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The advantage to being lousy at selfies is...
Heart 1 Comment 0
You get to meet amazing people like Willa, from Shanghai, now living in Munich, and on her way to Ljubljana.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then back down to the waterfront we went for more wandering, that Aperol spritz, sunset, dinner and a beautiful finish to a fantastic day. 

We really do love boats.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Italy a drink comes with a meal. We went out for dinner anyway.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Helen StarkOh my goodness, just amazing. The colour! Love these pictures. You two are looking so good as well. Young and fit.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Look at the building on the far right. Look up 😀.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking back to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got back to the Hotel All’Arco and fumbled for the key card and the receptionist buzzed us in before we could find it. “Hi Honey, we’re home” we said, which cracked her up. She is just the best, and does it all with the most charming accent you have ever heard. Another fantastic day. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonSo glad you enjoyed it. It feels like one of the most remarkable places we’ve been. I’ve been mentally penciling future tours that would start or end there ever since we left.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Helen StarkI think you may have peaked on this trip. What is your home date?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenWe are home on the 14th, in time for Book Club!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago