Treviso - Where did the Blue Skies Go? - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2018

Treviso - Where did the Blue Skies Go?

Spilimbergo to Treviso

Into every tour a little rain must fall. You don’t sign up for eight weeks outdoors without some!  We were aware it was coming, and if the meteorologists are right, it should be gone by tomorrow. Fortunately this wasn’t  catastrophic wet to the undergarments rain, it was described in the weather forecasts as showers and they were right.  Off we went with the rain gear at the top of the panniers. 

First though, a good breakfast at the Hotel Grand President in Spilimbergo. As it turns out, we weren’t the only guests. We think there were three or four rooms occupied. It is a great place to stay, and we imagine they are very busy in the summer. 

The CN planned a great route and we enjoyed it right from the start. First up was market day. It was huge. These markets seem to go on forever. I really laughed when Keith turned off the main street because he thought he could dodge the crowds and the merchandise, only to discover it went down all the side streets as well. It wasn’t raining at this point, but very shortly after we escaped the market we were donning the wet gear and putting the electronics in waterproof cases. 

People and stuff everywhere. You want it, they have it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This market had food 👍.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making our escape.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route was along very quiet secondary highways. We think everyone within striking distance was at the market. The ride was good, the rain came and went and we moved from one small community to another for about 33 km. 

We love the renovations where they leave a portion of the original and ancient house exposed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then there are those houses that leave it all exposed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Often though, exterior maintenance doesn’t seem to be a priority.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Casarsa and stopped at a bike shop just for fun. Guess what?  While I was outside watching our bikes, Keith found my birthday present inside. Happy day!

I was admiring these city bikes. Perfect for errands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith found me this one. I ❤️ it. It weighed pretty much nothing.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesYeah, but - where do you attach the fenders and panniers, handlebar bag and under seat?? Also front wheel lacks lots of strong spokes. What an old fogy I am!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI assume Keith will be carrying everything in the future. Should work out fine.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

The forecast, which up until now had been very accurate, leading us to believe the rest of it would be accurate, was for light showers on and off in the morning and steady rain in the afternoon. We gave that some thought. There was a train station in Casarsa, and an inquiry and 29 Euro had us in beautiful Treviso by 1:30 PM.  Fantastic decision. We have had such an amazing afternoon and evening exploring Treviso, drinking local wine and having a wonderful time. 

First up after checking in to our hotel was the Duomo.  There was a mass happening and it seems more respectful to come back later.  When we returned an hour later there was still a mass happening.  We were just inside the door and my hockey playing husband said it must be the second period.  I had to dive for cover.  He makes me laugh so hard.  Hopefully in the morning we will get a good look.

The domes of the Duomo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Under the domes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Umbrellas everywhere. Except us. We relied on our Goretex jackets to keep us dry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Treviso is full of canals.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We walked and walked and walked. We bought provisions for tomorrow’s ride. We found one of those only in Italy cheese and meat shops. I always want to take it all home, but of course we can’t.  Darn.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful old town, and lots of window shopping for me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Probably the oldest church we have ever been in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Treviso is beautiful and at least at this time of year, not over run with tourists.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We seem to be still headed south. We really wanted to see Treviso, and given the rain the train was a strategic decision to get us here a little faster. We are so glad we decided to do it...it has saved us a day. We will head west to Vicenza  tomorrow and then we will have to get serious about going north. We actually looked into changing our flights.  Eight weeks hasn’t been long enough. At first glance it seemed reasonable, but when we looked seriously it was cost prohibitive. Oh well. Better to go home wanting more, rather than wishing it was over. We are having such a wonderful time. 

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 1,831 km (1,137 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonYou’re going to Venice! You know, I assume, that you can’t take your bikes into the city (unless something has changed in recent years). When we biked there twenty years ago we biked across the causeway and left them at the train station by the Grand Canal.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Helen StarkHow nice to leave wanting more. Glad you're coming home though.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonOops! We are going to Vicenza!!! I have done the edit. I am blaming autocorrect. It couldn’t have been the wine could it?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen ClassenI wondered about that (the destination, not the wine). Another great town. This is such a rich region to explore, isn’t it?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago