Toblach/Dobbiaco - Hiking with our Heads in the Clouds - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2018

Toblach/Dobbiaco - Hiking with our Heads in the Clouds

Toblach/Dobbiaco

We spent our day with our heads in the clouds, literally. We decided to do one of the most well known hikes in the area, the circuit around Tre Cime (three peaks).  It was a fantastic hike and we enjoyed it all. I can’t imagine what it would be like in the sunshine. 

The first order of business was thinking about shuffling from our first room to the delightful little B and B across the street. It is the off season here, and so while it still seems very busy to us (I can’t imagine in the peak seasons) accommodation is a little tighter because many hotels close at this time and reopen for the ski season. We ended up leaving our luggage in the Hotel Urthaler and bringing it over after the hike. Our bikes are still there...there was a room for them. 

Next up was the shuttle bus. We managed to get on the wrong one, but we have learned to always double check and the lovely Sophia sorted us out. The bus ride up through the switchbacks to Tre Cime was an experience in itself. We had one aggressive driver let me tell you!  Keith found this much more hair raising than I did. I looked at the views and trusted it would all work out. It did. 

Once at the top the views were shrouded in mist, but stunning none the less. If it is this good when the three peaks are shrouded in mist it must be stunning in the sunshine. 

The hike begins at Rifugio Auronzo. The mountains are looking moody in the mist.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We aren’t sure this group made it very far. They had a unique idea of appropriate hiking attire.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesMore like strolling attire.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Mike AylingNot prepared for the terrain or any sudden weather changes as per our previous discussion.

Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Misty mountains.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Starting out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even in the clouds it was spectacular.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We hiked to the second Rifugio and stopped for snacks. The views were tremendous. Up to this point the path had been wide and now it narrowed and became more interesting. We would describe it as an easy hike, but a very special one. 

Hut number two.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Mike AylingThat is five star refuge hut!

Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
That is our path ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
A little yoga on a precipice complete with water bottle and backpack.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Keith looking back.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is a short blog considering it was an eventful and awesome day. Keith is still talking about the bus driver. What can you say when your driver is looking over his shoulder talking to a passenger, texting, answering phone calls and negotiating hairpins at high speed?  Have I mentioned passing pretty much everything on the road?  Remember, he was driving a bus, not a small high performance car!  He even wore racing gloves. I am not sure when Keith is going to recover from the experience. 

Once we were safely back at the hotel we heard much mooing on the road. They are bringing the cows down from their summer pasture, so why not bring them through town?

From our balcony. Much mooing!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Helen StarkI would probably have asked to get off the bus! You are very brave to endure this ride with such aplomb. How was the ride down?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesThe lovely Sophia? I just finished bonding with Julia! I guess that's how it goes in Italy.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago