Ljublijana - Lovely Ljubljana - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2018

Ljublijana - Lovely Ljubljana

Ljublijana

We had the best breakfast of the trip this morning in the Hotel Lev. A definite ten jammer. No need to consult the CN this time, but I did anyway and he confirmed.  When we got back to the room I teased him that I wasn’t going anywhere, I was going to put my robe back on and enjoy this bit of unexpected luxury for the day. We have had such fantastic accommodation this trip so it isn’t like I haven’t been spoiled, but an upgrade to a suite is a treat. 

Of course I didn’t mean it and we set out to explore Ljubljana some more. It is such a pretty city. First stop was the castle. We spent far more time there than we anticipated and really, really enjoyed it. We had the full meal deal - all museums within the castle, viewing tower and audio guide. They have done an amazing job of restoring and renovating the castle to become a real center for the town. 

The square was filled with tour groups and locals and other tourists when we arrived on the scene
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful buildings everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked up to the castle wending our way through some back streets and narrow alleys. It is such a beautiful day here. This weather surely cannot last much longer, so we must savour every moment. The castle was a terrific way to spend our time. So many things to look at and so much history. We were reminded of that old song lyric “On a clear day, you can see forever...” because that is how it felt.  We think we saw a third of Slovenia because that is what the audio guide said we could see on a clear day 😜. 

Looking down from our walk to the castle. At one point Keith had a lovely view over a wall and I couldn’t see a thing. Too short.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old cannon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From one of the towers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The interior courtyard. I had a cappuccino and Keith had a green tea down there in the sunshine later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old Ljubljana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Modern Ljubljana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many spiral staircases in the castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dragons all over town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking back down.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then continued to wander the huge pedestrian area and just enjoy the sights and sounds. We bought chocolate in a specialty shop and plums at the market. The plums were pretty funny...something got lost in the translation and we ended up with a kilo which will be a bit much on the bikes tomorrow, so we pretty much had chocolate and plums for lunch. An interesting nutritional profile. 

Why would you want anything else for lunch?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We visited several of the churches, all over the top, as usual, and just whiled away the rest of the afternoon. We came across a beer and burger festival and lots of young people having lots of fun. It was great to watch. We were too full of chocolate and plums to indulge. Then it was back to our beautiful room before we went out for dinner at the sister ship to last night’s restaurant. I had lamb goulash with potato dumplings. Yum yum!  We are off to Postojna, famous for its caves, tomorrow. We may or may not get to the caves. There are a few hills between here and there 😜. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
He looks very relaxed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one was interesting. Very dark, very different.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now, for a complete contrast to the hush and serenity of the churches, we have craft beer and burgers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh to have been hungry and thirsty. Everything looked amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent much of our time over dinner planning how we will get back to Zurich. We still don’t know hehe. But we have the next few days planned and that will have to do. We discussed all the possibilities including riding to Lago de Garda and just hanging out and then hopping a train. It is unlikely we will do that, but I think there will be a train or two in our future. Another fantastic day. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0