Levico Terme - It Wasn’t an Easy Ride! - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2018

Levico Terme - It Wasn’t an Easy Ride!

Trento to Levico Ferme

We started the day with an outstanding breakfast at the Grand Hotel Trento. It was the full ten jammer. Unlimited cappuccinos for me and croissants and multiple jams to keep the CN happy, and everything in between. We fuelled up for what would be an unexpectedly challenging day. 

I would have eaten more had I known what was coming!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We met two lovely couples, these cyclists from Christchurch, New Zealand and there friends from Adelaide, Australia. They were off to Arco–Riva today and they are going to love it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was a sunscreen kind of a day 😎.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The hotel with the Euro Bike sag wagon out front.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving town. The back of Buonconsiglio Castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We started our ride at tourist information. We were concerned about the climb out of Trento as the Italy Cycling Guide website suggested that the first 15 km out of Trento on a narrow, shoulderless road was perhaps better avoided by taking a bike shuttle. We had a very helpful woman at TI and she said that while it was a climb, it shouldn’t be a problem. We both remembered the Martina to Nauders climb, where a shuttle is also recommended, and we loved it. We would have been so disappointed to see it from the seat of a bus.  Well, trust us, we should have paid more attention to the cycling guide. The seat of the bus was looking very attractive to us before very long. The difference we think, is that Martina to Nauders was a long series of switchbacks in the countryside. This ride was pretty much straight up, and very urban, with all the navigating and traffic that entails. There were some rewarding views though. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We met another touring cyclist, a young man from Venice, at a wide spot in the road where we had stopped to rest. We had a great conversation. He was covered in sweat (so were we) and he laughed, gave that Italian shrug and declared all three of us crazy. But healthy, he added!

Heart 2 Comment 0
We thought maybe we had topped out here, but no, after a brief respite we were back at it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Eventually we arrived in the valley. It was such an up and down journey to get there. We also were finally off the road. I loved that. We stopped for a picnic lunch will helped rejuvenate both of us. 

Cars honked as they entered this one lane on a corner impediment. I listened until I couldn’t hear a car and went for it in the middle of the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Keith walked up to see this church. I decided I could look at the pictures and sat on a bench and watched the bikes.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ponies resting while we refuel.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Once we were in the valley we were able to make some time, but the fact that our average speed today was only 8 km an hour tells you something about the terrain.  There are beautiful lakes in the valley and it was such a pleasure to ride the flat bike path beside the first lake. Then we were back into apple orchards and vineyards, and actually making progress. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Michel FleuranceStrudel fruits ?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Keith ClassenTo Michel FleuranceYup ! And had some great strudel for breakfast this morning!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Still wearing my new favourite jersey.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We looked at the time and decided to book a hotel in nearby Levico Terme. We both felt ready for a break. What a wonderful hotel we are in. It is a bike hotel, and it almost feels like if you are not on a bike or motorcycle they would turn you away. There is a workshop with all the tools and bike stands, a bike washing station, compressed air, chain cleaner etc.  It is all rather amazing. The lobby has large maps available of local bike routes on a large table, and books and maps and information. What really sealed the deal though, is the pool. It hit 30 degrees again today and a swim and nap in the chaise by the pool was just the ticket. 

It is a beautiful little town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We aren’t the only cyclists here either.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThere are even two unicycles!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesGood eye! It is an amazing place.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Motorcycle parking.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The perfect way to end the day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Next up was a drink on the patio.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Seems riding a motorbike means wearing lots of gear.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have had a wonderful dinner and are organized for tomorrow which should be a relatively flat ride through the valley. We’ll see. The one thing we know for sure is we should have read the Bike Italy Guide a little more carefully. We have now, and here is a quote.

“I would definitely consider the shuttle from Trento (you could also catch the train). The initial stretch out of Trento is on a very steep and narrow road. I’ve ridden it a couple of times, and the drivers have always been considerate, but even so you may find it a little stressful. The route out of Trento is one of the least satisfactory parts of the whole route and I would be tempted to avoid it.”

Hah!  We second that. It is a very steep and narrow road, and the drivers were considerate, but it was a challenging climb. 

Well then, let’s start the day with a good steep climb, shall we?
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 752 km (467 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Tricia GrahamWe. Took the train over that part!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Tricia GrahamYou made the right decision. It wasn’t the traffic on the road so much as the nature of the climb, pretty much straight up. Not built for loaded bikes!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago