Ferlach - Best Section of the Drau Yet - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2018

Ferlach - Best Section of the Drau Yet

Villach to Ferlach

We have just had a fantastic day. The Drau has been great from the start but this was our favourite section so far. The signage, the surface, the scenery and the weather combined to create a day that could be an advertisement for bike touring. 

We left the hotel in brilliant sunshine. The only thing to surprise us as we were getting ready was the smell of cigarette smoke. I looked out the open window and there were 10 people from the business across the street taking a smoke break. We were on the third floor and we were breathing it. Europe continues to be so completely backward about encouraging people to quit. Eating outside is spoiled by smokers. We regularly see  young mothers puffing away leaning over strollers. It is all just so tragic - and annoying. Last night at dinner we were asked if we wanted the smoking or non smoking section in the restaurant. What???  We just didn’t think that sort of thing even existed anymore. So there is my annual rant. It breaks our hearts to see all the young people puffing away. It really does. 

The Hotel Kasino. That is our open window above the balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the wall of the business across the street. Might as well make the “smart choice” cheap and convenient. Unbelievable really.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Helen StarkIt is so discouraging in to see this going on. And so distasteful when we are used to not smelling the cigarette smoke over here.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesRauchen ist tödlich hören sie jetzt auf

(Smoking is deadly - stop it now!)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We stopped this morning at a phone repair and sales business, Mr. Handy. We met two of the loveliest people you can imagine, Slaven and his wife. The best people to buy a phone or seek help from if you ever find yourself in our position. After much thought and debate we finally made a decision and the CN has a new iPhone. Oh, is he ever happy 😃. Slaven helped him set it up and download everything from the cloud and then we were on our way. He and his wife were terrific. They made it so straightforward and fun too.

Thanks again. It was a pleasure.
Heart 1 Comment 1

We were now heading out late to start down the Drau but we had a perfect day in terms of weather and a very happy CN. It was worth it. There is a side benefit for me too, I have my phone back 👍. 

What a beautiful city Villach is. We really liked the look and feel of it. I read some of the history of the city last night and because of its strategic position on the river it was badly bombed in WW II, but the restoration of buildings that could be restored along with newer architecture is very well done.  It has a large pedestrian area that we both find so appealing  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Helen StarkWe loved this in Europe too. Just so interesting to sit and watch the world go by.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a real variation in scenery today. That was a good part of what made it such a special day. Early on, with the Drau to our right, the CN suggested we ignore the very clear signage to go left, because his trusty Galileo showed a more direct route. First we were down to single track, but then we had a short climb and were riding along a narrow paved track with a cliff to the right and a guard rail made of rotting boards and baling wire.  I kid you not. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that this was probably the old cycle route which was abandoned for safety reasons. Unfortunately we don’t have a picture of the dramatic section because we were a wee bit focused on the riding part. It was actually fun because we never felt terrified, just very aware of why they switched the path. 

Good old single track. Perfect for the touring cyclist.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And back to the signed route.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The signage today was fantastic. Enough to make the GTW’s heart sing. Even I could have found my way to Ferlach unassisted. Every turn had not just a sign on a post, but a sign painted on the bike path. It really was amazing. So well done. 

A good example. Note the signage on the road, and the Green sign on the post across the street. It was like this at every intersection. It would be very hard to screw up.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The variation in scenery made it a special ride. We rode river side, we rode past lakes and reservoirs, we rode through small communities and through farms and fields. We enjoyed it all. 

Heart 1 Comment 1
Helen StarkFor some reason this scenery brings tears to my eyes.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
We found another old tractor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A purple house for our friend Joanne. It had a purple garage too.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetAnd a very interesting roof design to hold the snow (I think).
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sometimes we had scenery like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes we were right along the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then we were riding through fields.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Followed by an organic farm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then there were the pigs, always fun to watch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Imagine, they build these bridges just for cyclists.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetWhere is this one? Another I'd like to research...
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Keith ClassenTo Jacquie GaudetHi Jacquie - I just had a look at my Galileo track and I think it is near Rosegg and Latschach - two very communities. Hope that helps. I took a screen shot and we will send it to you. Keith
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Spring run off must be really something.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was just a great day. The approach to Ferlach was stunning. Mountains to the right, water and charming village high in the hills to the left. Exploring Ferlach will happen in the morning. It is a tiny place and the two hotels are outside of the village. We are following the stages set out in Drauradweg.com (they have an English version) and so far it has been terrific. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Castles on the top of the hills too with the autobahn in the foreground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking to the right approaching Ferlach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking to the left.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are happy and comfortable in the Hotel Zur Post. We are trying to decide where we are going tomorrow. One last stop in Austria, or a bit further into Slovenia. We have had a delicious dinner and wine. The CN even had strudel with eis and sahne for dessert. The only thing we don’t have is chocolate, but we plan to solve that little problem in Ferlach tomorrow morning. Simply a great day today!

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,385 km (860 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0