Belluno - A Peak at the Dolomites - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2018

Belluno - A Peak at the Dolomites

Feltre to Belluno

We started the day with such a lovely breakfast and conversation with our hosts Silvio and Isabella and their daughter Simonetta. They helped us feel confident about the way ahead, whether we go straight to Cortina or detour to Treviso. 

Our superb accommodation.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were faced with a climb immediately. Enough of a climb that we were pleased to see the top. We climbed 618 m today...it was a bit up and down, to say the least. We were in the shadow of the Dolomites today, and they looked mighty fine. 

A beautiful bike path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back down at Feltre.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Big mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw a wide variety of architecture and various degrees of maintenance. 

The old attached to the new option.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The deferred maintenance option.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The totally tiddly option.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The house with views all around option.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And our favourite, the ‘you can buy this one’ option.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Look at the detail. It was quite something. You could buy it, renovate it, and write a book about it. Oh, wait, I think that’s been done.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We carried on, with the CN navigating like the pro he is. We stopped in a park for our picnic lunch at a shady bench. It was a fantastic day. We peered in the window of the Toni Bevilacqua Museum (it was closed) without being really sure who he was, but I can tell you now he won, among other things, the 1951 Paris -Roubaix. 

It would have been fun to go in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 1 Comment 0

Before long we were approaching Belluno. We could have gone straight in on the road, but oh no, I chose the bike path and lived to regret it. The highway looked like a downhill run into town, and the bike path was a series of ascents and descents and while mostly hard surface, on one steep descent there was my nemesis, gravel. Mixing it up with Italian drivers might have been easier!

The bike path paralleled the road for a bit before taking off into the hills.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Belluno. We went for a good walk once we were in town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is a beautiful spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Checking in we met Nick and Clare, Sharon and John from Great Britain and Ireland respectively. They are doing a hiking tour of the area. We have spent a great evening with them over pizza and beer and as a result the blog is short!  I am falling asleep here 💤. 

A great evening in great company.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 862 km (535 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0