Arabba - Up and Down and Up and Down in the Sunshine - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2018

Arabba - Up and Down and Up and Down in the Sunshine

Val Gardena to Arabba

We woke up to bright sunshine again this morning and we are happy to report that it is still beautifully sunny out there. There was no weather drama today.  Keith wanted to call today’s entry the Big M because that is exactly what the profile looked like. 

The view from our hotel room this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Hotel Rezia was fantastic in every way. That is our room on the lower right.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We wanted to go down into Val Gardena proper to explore for a bit and the CN immediately found us a terrific bike path. We found the area a bit confusing. We kept dropping and dropping. It was a lovely downhill but we were acutely aware that we would be turning around and climbing back up the same way we came. We asked a young woman on the bike path and she explained that Val Gardena is really three communities strung along the valley among all the ski lifts. We would have had to go down further. It was far enough away we decided it wasn’t worth it. She had suggested the bus!  The whole area is off the Sellaronda route, and we wound up climbing about 7 km before we were at the start of the Passo Sella. 

Going down, car free.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The valley is beautiful and you can start skiing just about anywhere as there are lifts everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We discovered, once heading out of the valley, that the bike path extended for a good distance. We certainly wish we had realized that last night in the rain. At one point it was called the Champion’s Trail and there were brass plaques honouring all the skiing champions. There was art work trailside as well. 

He or she was huge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I just happened to look down as we went by this.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we rejoined the road and the traffic. Going up through the switchbacks with considerable traffic wasn’t great, but I was entertained by some of the cars going by. A group of about ten Audi R8 cars passed us. Seriously, where do they put the golf clubs?  Then after about 300 m of climbing we were back at the start of the pass and where we took refuge yesterday in what felt like the dark it was raining so hard. It didn’t actually look a whole lot better this morning. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Keith was actually intrigued by this sign, but I am glad he caught one of those growly Audis on the way up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back down to the valley.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were blessed by the single lane areas again this morning. It meant stretches with no cars as they came by in clumps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It really didn’t look any more inviting this morning. This is the point where the climb officially starts. We could have turned left here and carried on except it was bucketing with rain ☔️.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Up we went. It always amazes me how quickly we gain elevation. The Passo Sella had far less traffic than yesterday’s passes. It was fantastic. Warning, more mountain pictures coming up. We have been so lucky with the weather (with the notable exception of yesterday’s deluge). Funny how quickly we had forgotten that riding in the sun today. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down on our port in the storm. You can see where we came down and turned right into Gardena instead of left up the Sella.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride up the Sella Pass would have been much easier if we hadn’t gone down into Gardena and lost 300 m of elevation, but given the weather conditions there wasn’t really a choice. We had planned to break up the ride anyway, and are glad we did. We know now we could have done the circuit in a day, unloaded, but we would have been in a bit of trouble given yesterday afternoon’s weather bomb. It also gave us the wonderful opportunity to take our time. We came to see the area, not see how fast we can ride through it. It was just so beautiful. I was so taken with the scenery we were at the top of the first pass before I knew it. 

You can see the ski lift if you look closely. They are everywhere. 450 of them, with lots operating in the summer for hikers and mountain bikers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met this fellow from Germany while having coffee at the top. He was loaded.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at our coffee stop which was just shy of the summit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isn’t it beautiful?
Heart 2 Comment 0
One down, one to go.
Heart 2 Comment 0
That’s where we are going.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I think I am getting better at descending, but most of the real roadies just whiz by both of us. I particularly love the guys that go by pedaling on the downhill straight sections. They are amazing to watch. We have seen a few in the full Tour de France out of the saddle and onto the top tube position. Yikes!   Keith and I are both happy to take a more cautious approach.We don’t bounce well at our age. The descents, however we do them are just so darn much fun. It is a great deal faster to go down than up. 

One more thing to do in the area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
So beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passo Pordoi already? Going up!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was just magical. I wasn’t carrying anything as the CN had insisted on taking my handlebar bag. We both felt so good and the views were so incredible. The pictures just don’t do it justice. 

We were at the top in before we knew it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We ran into so many great people on the way up. There is time to chat at climbing speeds. One particularly fun encounter was meeting Cliff again. We met him just outside of Cortina two days ago. His son Tom is coming to Canada and we are hoping he will take us up on our offer of hospitality. He is a climber (as in ropes and harnesses, not bikes), as are our son and daughter in law, so it would really be fun. After a great visit on the move, off Cliff went on his lovely light road bike. 

That is our road down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me and the other bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another look at the fun ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0

So down we went, savouring it all. I sang to myself all the way down. We were just so happy. Before we knew it we were at the Hotel Alpenrose and checked into the honeymoon suite. Seriously, I don’t know what we did to deserve this room, but it is palatial. We have had an amazing meal in the restaurant, wine to toast a fantastic day, and have decided to ride into Cortina tomorrow and then head to Toblach and then east. It is going to be good!

Could there be anything to do on a touring bike that is more awesome than this?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The room is huge. Two sitting areas, a bay window, skylights and a stunning view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The reason the CN wanted to call the ride the Big M. We were either pedaling hard or not pedaling at all.
Heart 0 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/1852088759

What an amazing day. 

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 1,059 km (658 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0