Morges to Geneva - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2019

Morges to Geneva

Blown Into Geneva

Today was another totally unexpected day. Morges was such an appealing spot that we gave some consideration to staying another night, but as it is Sunday and the whole town is shut up tight it seemed a better idea to head to Geneva and spend an extra night there. That hasn’t quite worked out, but I am getting ahead of myself. 

We lingered over a great breakfast because it was cold and windy out and we had a shortish ride to Geneva. It was about 4 degrees C and when we got out on to the street we realized exactly how windy it was. Very, very fortunately, it was, for the most part, a tail wind. If it had been the other way around we would have marched right back into the hotel and checked back in. The wind was that strong. We followed Swiss National Route 1 today, the Rhone Route. There are not as many pictures today. The wind, while primarily from behind, was fluky and a real presence on the ride. 

A great place to stay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel was right on this pedestrianized street. Note the banner flying straight out towards us. The wind was really blowing. Sun was out though!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We started out with the wind almost directly behind us. We were being blown right along. We had sunshine but were surrounded by rather alarming looking clouds. The other side of the lake looked like it was taking a beating and the snow line was surprisingly low. 

The first traffic circle we came to. Note the weather on the other side of the lake. We loved all the bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The weather on our side of the lake. We were flying here, with the wind at our backs.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Of course it wasn’t all tailwind. When we were headed directly into the wind it was a tough slog, but usually short lived. It was when we had it coming directly from the side that it got dicey. There was one overpass where for safety reasons I gave up and walked the bike, which wasn’t easy either.  The wind was very gusty and when I got to where Keith was waiting even he had found it pretty unbelievable. You really had to lean into it to avoid being blown across the road. Last year, after a similar day, when I did find myself unexpectedly blown into a farmer’s field rather than on the bike path I spent some time in the evening researching how best to ride in crosswinds. The consensus was don’t. Really, that was the best advice they had. 

Looking across the lake. If one of those were your boat, today was a day when you would want to be down there checking it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The fields were fascinating to watch. You could see the gusts in the same way you can when sailing, except of course, they were coming from behind usually, so we felt them first. You certainly can’t look around the way you do on a boat. 

Here is the grass which was moving in waves. This view is across the lake. People over there must have been looking enviously at our side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking in our direction of travel. Looks much better, doesn’t it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode through apple orchards, with the trees in bloom, and vineyards. The vines are just starting to leaf out.  There was also beautiful village after beautiful village to admire. I particularly enjoy looking at the architecture, both old and new and imagining people’s lives in these houses. The houses we saw today along the lake were all very upscale. It must be a hugely desirable area. Hop on the train and you are at work in Geneva in no time, and return to your idyllic town by the lake after work. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
We rode by a tiny airport. We aren’t sure this plane looked air worthy. It is a biplane and we are curious as to the make.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWell duh, that's a 1972 Antonov. You can get a 40 minute flight for 100 Francs. How am I so smart? Unlimited internet here at home, of course!

http://www.antonov2.ch/nos-evenements/vols-proposes-et-prix
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesSteve - I would have guessed it was a 1971 model. Thanks for the research!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

After about 30 km we began looking for a sheltered bench for lunch. We found one in Nyon and ate quickly because we were starting to wonder how long our extraordinary luck with the sun could last. There was very little stopping for photography at this point. 

Leaving Nyon we had a hilarious experience. The route was marked detour, but when we rocked up to a fellow in a safety vest he just smiled and waved us on. We were now on the bike route, which had hay bales on the curves and tape running down either side of it. We were being serenaded first by Elvis singing Blue Suede Shoes, and then the Beatles Can’t Buy Me Love. Both at full volume. We rounded a corner and three very startled volunteers leapt to their feet and in friendly but clearly concerned rapid fire French told us something. They appeared pretty anxious. Fortunately they all spoke excellent English. It was a big go-kart race and we were riding up the track. Sheesh!  We ducked under that tape in record time, they wished us a good journey and we laughed. We wish we had a picture. I am still wondering what on earth the guy who waved us on was thinking. 

Our incredible luck with the weather continued. I kept casting worried looks ahead but I guess the weather was being pushed away by the wind. 

There are the mountains 😀.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow, look at that snow up there! You’d better stay in the valleys, alright.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
We rode through horse country and the animals were beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we were suddenly in the thick of Geneva. We were never on the road. Either dedicated bike lane or shared bike/bus/taxi track. We rode by the World Trade Organization. Sometimes I just feel so lucky to be seeing these things. Then, on the other side of the road the Astana and Trek-Segafredo team cars went by. I was so excited I nearly swooned. Imagine if I actually saw a cyclist!!  The Tour de Romandie ended here today with a time trial. Primoz Roglic won the GC, followed by Rui Costa and Geraint Thomas. 

Our hotel is fantastic and central, so we decided to ask about a second night. There is a huge conference in Geneva tomorrow, no rooms here, and even the Ibis wants 300 Chf. Everything else is much, much higher. So off to Annecy we will go, and spend a few days there. 

We have been out for a good walk. It is still gloriously sunny, but the wind, oh my goodness. We were blown into a cafe where we sat at the bar and had a hot chocolate of all things. It was wonderful. Waiting to cross the street we were next to a jogger and I joined him in jogging on the spot and said I was from Canada and would be fine.  He laughed and replied he was from Spain and might not be. 

Beautiful Lac Leman on a windy day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The old buildings facing the lake are fantastic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More beautiful buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
See how low the snowline is? On this day last year in Geneva it was 27 degrees C. Heck, the week before we arrived it was close to that.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith snapped this quickly as we walked. I had my hands in my pockets, hood up and was heading at double speed back to the hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were walking down the corridor to our beautiful room in the Hotel Kipling. Keith said to me “Aren’t you glad we’re not camping?”.  Oh my goodness how he makes me laugh. I simply can’t imagine, and chapeau to anyone who is camping tonight. We will snuggle under our fluffy white duvet and feel grateful. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/2343946189

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 358 km (222 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesSteve and I say the Aren't you glad we're not camping... so many times each trip. When it is raining, cold, we're sooo tired, or just cuddling down under those fabulous European duvets. We are loving following along in your tire tracks. Dodie
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesLast night the tent would have blown away! Even with us in it. We are off to Annecy today. Keith still isn’t firing on all cylinders so we will stay there for a few days.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago