Day 1: Vancouver - Grampies' Poc Chuc Pursuit Winter 2021 - CycleBlaze

November 25, 2021

Day 1: Vancouver

This has not really been much of a "Day 1", since our total movement has been limited to a short walk in the rain across to the restaurant of the next hotel over. Even the giant rain storm that we are supposedly hiding from has not really materialized. We've just had normal BC rain. 

Still, it has been fun looking out our quite wide window at the busy highway, lying on the comfy bed, and occasionally looking at the obscenely wide tv.

Some parts of Vancouver are picturesque, but this isn't one of them. The shot could have been livened up by a little more of that promised rain!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We did spend quite a bit of time folding our bikes and obsessing about where the baggage gorillas would grab them, and which parts we ourselves should pull off and seriously hide. We think the final cocooned product is moderately safe, but we are still keenly aware of all the cables, derailleurs, and chain rings that could get bashed if reasonable care is not taken.

The result of our folding and wrapping.
Heart 1 Comment 0

That little walk in the rain was over to Eggspectations, the restaurant recently added to the Accent Inn. Last time out, we stayed at Accent Inn but the restaurant was still in the planning stage, so they sent us over here, to the Holiday Inn. 

Eggspectations was  ok, but we were not 100% impressed with their vaccine checking, which involved only a half hearted visual peek at our vaccine passports. We were then seating next to a family with small children, who started climbing on their benches toward us. We quite quickly retreated to a quieter corner of the restaurant. We are not sure how the issue of distancing will play out in Yucatan, and what our reactions will be. We should check the Spanish phrase book Joni created and sent with us, to see if it has "Hey buddy, do you mind stepping back six feet!"

And now, despite a promise not to picture every meal taken, here is the  offering from Eggspectations.

On the left is an omelet with asparagus, and on the right is a stack of pancakes that hides a layer of sausages and a layer of bacon, with an egg on top. This is quite a feast for people who travelled a total of 400 meters today!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Wake up time tomorrow is 5:45 a.m. for the shuttle to the airport. We may not sleep well anyway, because tension is mounting - half for the adventure trip to come and half for the gauntlet of security and baggage that must be passed before we can be on the road!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith ClassenGood luck tomorrow morning. In addition to checking the tire pressure maybe check your blood pressure as well. Sweet dreams!
Its going to go well!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago