Day 14: To Duffield - Steel City to Cow Town 2014 - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2014

Day 14: To Duffield

Up at 7:30, on the road at 8:35 after a huge breakfast at the Super 8 motel. The usual 55F, foggy, with 100% humidity.

On the road I backtracked 1.5 miles into Lebanon, then turned left onto highway 71 west. Somehow I missed a turn and ended up on Gravel Lick road heading northwest to Cleveland. My alternate route is much hillier, with a 400 foot climb followed by a 950 foot switchback descent to the village of Cleveland.

Ridge-top view, more kudzu.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was very scenic and there was no traffic. And my alternate route is not very much longer than the direct route.

Houses in the village of Cleveland are close to the road in a narrow valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Railroad switch yard adjacent to a coal-fired power plant.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Eventually I made it to the village of St. Paul where I had an excellent lunch at Giovanni's Pizza. Not many options there. After St. Paul is an awful 2 mile climb on US Alt 58 south, a busy divided highway with minimal shoulder.

Hilltop view from Clinch River road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally I turned off the busy highway onto highway 65, Clinch River road. The road climbs a couple more big hills before descending to the Clinch river. Fortunately the traffic was moderate and the scenery is great.

Clinch river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Clinch river road has only occasional river views. Mostly farms, and the occasional house or church.

Log church. Rare to not be a Baptist church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clinch river valley looking into the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wonder what once was... Clinch river below.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The final 10 miles of Clinch River road is fairly flat and close to the river. Finally some good river views.

Clinch river and highway 65.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fortunately I saw few coal trucks in Virginia.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Motorists were very polite when I was on the 2-lane roads.

Highway 61 and Clinch river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They expect motorists to make sense of this at 60 mph?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Clinch River road ends at a T onto busy US 23. I turned north, 5 mostly uphill miles to Duffield. It's a divided highway with little or no shoulder and traffic was extremely heavy. Rush hour, with many coal trucks heading into town.

At 5 PM I turned into the Travel Inn motel on the edge of Duffield. $49 for a big room. I chose not to pay $10 extra for a fridge and microwave. A supermarket and Subway restaurant are across the street.

Today was a long and challenging day. It helped to be well rested after yesterday's easy ride. The high temperature was only 72F. Mostly cloudy with a little bit of sunshine in the afternoon.

Distance: 67.3 mi. (108 km)
Climbing: 3944 ft. (1195 m)
Average Speed: 10.6 mph (17 km/h)

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 664 miles (1,069 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0