Vire to Mortain: A day on the Voie Vert - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2013

Vire to Mortain: A day on the Voie Vert

Today was a very short day all on the Voie Vert, a disused rail way track between Vere and Mortain. The surface is hard packed gravel and is extremely well maintained. I should be able to say that we sped along but I am afraid I can't as it is up hill almost the entire way. The gradient of course wasn’t bad as up until the mid seventies trains used to lumber up here although the last passenger train was in 1938. The day started off with a few sprinkles and gradually got wetter and wetter. This didn’t bother us much as it is time that both of us had a day out of the sun. No coffee along the way as it would have meant a fairly long detour so we sat in a shelter out of the rain and ate chocolate and apricots.

Mortain is just a one street town. Very old. We were told that at one time it was full off monks who prayed 24 hours a day, very boring and exhausting I think. It was also the high point where the ancient pilgrims coming to Mont St Michel first saw the sight of the island. This accounts for us having to climb all day but imagine what a long down hill we will have tomorrow.

I think Bernie will be a bit jealous if he sees this picture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Problems on the old railway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old crossing house
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 613 km (381 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0