Newhaven to Dieppe: A boat ride - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2013

Newhaven to Dieppe: A boat ride

Awake at the crack of dawn once more we organised things. The reporting time for the ferry was at 9am. Much to our delight there was a flotilla of other cyclists. Most of them were doing a London to Paris ride and were lightly laden. One couple were carrying camping gear and were going as far as St Malo and from there would get a ferry home. People were envious of the long time we have on the road. I was slightly envious of their light loads.

The ferry is great it is full of English holiday makers. It is clearly the first day of their holidays as they have on their crisp new holiday clothes. Next to us, as we look out to the wonderful white cliffs that are not ‘of Dover’, is one very conscientious mother. Her children will get the most out of their trip. They have been studying maps of the crossing and having readings from the guide book. English picnics are all around us the hampers are being opened and hard boiled eggs and other yummy things are coming out. I will go and get a sandwich for each of us.

After a completely smooth crossing we looked out at more white cliffs and docked in the narrow little harbor of Dieppe. Outside it was very hot, well over 30 and it was now after 3pm. We had thought we might ride on a bit but this looks a lovely little town and our bikes seemed to not want to pass the Information de Tourisme. I have got a cool room with a view over the harbor. Ken seems to have lost his bag of underwear so off he went shopping, unfortunately neither of us knew the French word for underpants. I found an optician to mend my glasses. The big decision is where to eat tonight.

The small flotilla of cyclists waits to board
Heart 0 Comment 0
The whitecliffs but not of Dover
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are on our way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view
Heart 1 Comment 0
A lovely church above the cliffs in Dieppe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our cruise liner
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 80 km (50 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0