Mimizan Plage: La Fin des Vacances - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2013

Mimizan Plage: La Fin des Vacances

Well we didn’t get a new take-away pizza box last night. When Ken went on his usual exploration of the town he had forgotten the golden rule ‘know the name of the hotel you are staying at’. The experience was somewhat traumatic and he felt he would rather eat in the hotel than venture out again. What a really lovely meal we had. The restaurant attached to the hotel is a fancy one and we decided that we would treat ourselves and go through their menu, the wine too was very smooth even though we just had a pichet of the house red.

Today’s ride was quite short so we lingered a little over breakfast . The first bit was on the road and again steep in parts but after that things were easy. The Landes is a different area of France. It seems to be entirely sand and covered in pine trees with only a few little towns dotted around. Several years ago on our way walking to Santiago to Compostella we walked through the Landes and read that it had all been swampy and in the days gone by the people had to walk around on stilts to keep out of the water. All sounds rather far fetched but we were shown old photos of it.

Tonight we are in yet another seaside town Mimizan Plage. As the TV kept telling us this morning it is ‘La fin des Vacances’. The TV was full of people packing up their camp sites and warnings about congestion on the roads. The cars we were saw as we cycled along were full of and covered with holiday gear with children sleeping in the back seats. In Mimizan Plage there was even one operator packing up his side shows.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today's tractoe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,982 km (1,231 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0