Melide: A hard 40ks but some fine tractors - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2013

Melide: A hard 40ks but some fine tractors

Written by Ken

We met Jo and Charles and Mary (the American cyclist) in the afternoon. Mary’s husband Larry has the Ds and Vs so they are having their problems. Jo and Charles are going over the route at an amazing pace.

Today we had the breakfast along the main street at 7.50am, it was still half dark with walkers going by. We set off by 8.30am with no fog today, we had our flashing rear lights going to make us more obvious on the road which had some traffic. It was relentlessly uphill for the first 2 hours and mainly uphill all the rest of the day. The few descents were over so fast that we spent 90% of our time climbing. It was also cold all day so our coats were on nearly all the way.

We went through some forest and saw the first of the gum trees, lots of new planting so they must feel they are worthwhile. Mainly it is dairying with grassy meadows, lots of maize and in the villages barns and cows. At one point a herd of 20cows came out and walked down the road with us behind for about half a kilometer. We also saw a milk tanker, very like those in New Zealand.

Part of the way was on tiny local roads and that was great. Some of it was on quite a busy road the N547. We had a beautiful egg and ham sandwich at Palas de Rei. And on the descent out of town we came first to a tractor grave yard where among others I saw another Landes Iberica – complete but behind a security fence , also a little articulated vineyard tractor I could not identify. Then 200m down the road a perfect little 4WD tractor – an Astoa with a 2 cylinder air cooled MWM motor, double PTO at the rear – a really neat little machine, I presume Spanish made. Then on this fairly busy road another Seat 600 (Fiat) in lovely order by the roadside.

Finally into Melide which is a fair sized town. We have a good room above a bar for 36E. We should get to Santiago tomorrow – but not in time for the midday mass.

Low gear at the start of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are used for grain storage and are rat proof. There is a fine stand of Kale, used in Galacian Broth
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eating maize silage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off to the fields
Heart 0 Comment 0
We followed for half a kilometer
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Bullock cart pulled always by 2 bullocks - it has a rotating axle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Landes Iberica
Heart 0 Comment 0
I have never heard or seen one before it is an Astoa - a little beauty
Heart 0 Comment 0
The back end to show hydraulics and 2 PTOs
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went on our honeymoon in a Fiat 600 like this 52 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bus load of pilgrims are let out
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have a room above this bar
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church at Melide some of which dates from the 14th Century
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 2,699 km (1,676 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0