Le Porge to Biscarrosse Plage: Probably a bit to far but it was OK - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2013

Le Porge to Biscarrosse Plage: Probably a bit to far but it was OK

The hotel we stayed at last night was the best we have stayed in yet and one of the cheaper ones. Our room had a little balcony with table and chairs and a place to dry our washing, the shower was the best we have had , the room tastefully decorated , the bed comfortable and the internet about the fastest we have had. Out the back was a lovely terrace, garden, swimming pool and spa and it was on this terrace that we had our dinner last night. So in the extremely unlikely event that you find yourself in Le Porge stay at the Hotel Le Porge, you certainly won’t regret it. They even have two lovely little dogs.

Our ride today was a little longer than ideal for us but on the whole went very well. Ken was even heard to say “For the first time I feel really optimistic that we will get through this trip without any major calamities”. When we set off around 8.30 it was really nippy and it didn’t feel that a frost was that far away. We zipped along at a good speed 12 km in a straight line on a paved cycle path without a road crossing. At Andernos there was a market in full swing. The cycle track was full not only with bikes but with mobility scooters and the odd wheel chair on their way to it, passengers did not even wait till their cars stopped before they leapt out and were into it. We of course couldn’t be left out either and we needed bread so in we went and found an Artizan baker who was hacking pieces off enormous loaves . We just bought a bagette and two delicious little cakes that tasted as if they had been soaked in liquor. The roasting chickens looked and smelt particularly good as did the cheese and fruit but we were well stocked up.

Our coffee stop was not a huge success it involved a kilometer and a half detour off the route. Naturally there was no Bar only a take-away kebab shop. The coffee was almost undrinkable with sweetened whipped cream on top instead of milk. Never mind we set off to find a short cut back to our route. (It was lucky that the owner called out to Ken that he had left his back pack behind). 10 km and about an hour later we found our way back to our route, it is all good training.

Going around the Basin de Arachon is interesting, it is heavily built up but the cycle route is really very good. As you get to its mouth you come to Dune du Pilat. Francois had told us about this, the biggest sand dunes in France (or is it the world) we really must not miss these. The only problem is that the cycle path was going up and down what seemed to me massive mountains and this went on for about 15km. I am proud to report I didn’t get off and walk once though Ken was heard to say that I must have a more positive attitude. No sorry Francois we didn’t climb the dunes we just viewed them from the road and stopped at a camping ground to stock up on Fanta.

We are comfortably set up here in this little town of Biscarosse-Plage and will need to have take-away Pizza for dinner as That very important part of our equipment ‘the take-away pizza box ‘ has died.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I dont know where this is but I do know if you get here you just have to turn around and go back
Heart 0 Comment 0
Always helpful locals
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first rugby field
Heart 0 Comment 0
As near as we got to the Dunes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stocking up with Fanata
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down town Biscarrosse Plage
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 1,917 km (1,190 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0