Cabourg to Cabourg: World War 2 - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2013

Cabourg to Cabourg: World War 2

It was a very good idea that Ken had had to stay here for 2 nights and today do a circular ride to visit some of the museums. We had a leisurely breakfast in the hotel and didn’t get under way until about 8.30. Our first stop was at La Batterie de Merville. On the Eastern flank of the landing beaches it was necessary for the allies to knock this out before their landings could occur. It had been bombed ineffectively many times but was eventually ‘neutralised’ by the British 9th Parachute Battalion . The whole site is perfectly preserved and although we were there just after opening time there were already many visitors.

From there we found a very good cycle track that lead us up beside the Orne River to Pegasus Bridge. Pegusus Bridge was captured by glider borne troops of the 6th Airborne Division. How scary it must have been to arrive in enemy territory in gliders knowing that once you landed your vehicle was completely incapable of taking you to safety.

Over the bridge and it was a superhighway of a cycle track that took us along the canal to Ouistreham and the sea. We stopped for a coffee and crepes (we really do seem to be eating a lot of crepes and gallettes) then found the cycle track that leads you around the coast. This is very good to start with but before long it was covered in sand so if you don’t want to crash you have to watch your wheels carefully. First is Sword Beach then Lion and then Juno. They are wide open sandy beaches, today full of holiday makers, snack stalls and the odd Ecole de Voile. It must have all been so different on 6th June 1944. The horror of the whole thing is unimaginable. Ken had seen photos of the houses of the time beside the beach and many of these are still standing some tarted up as holiday destintations.

When we got to the start of Juno Beach we turned around as this was meant to be a training day for me and me and we didn’t want to make it too long. We actually did 83km and I was absolutely fine and so I should have been as it was completely flat with only a gentle head wind on the way home. Ken has high hopes for me but he shouldn’t get too confident as I know what can happen when I see a hill.

Pegasus Bridge Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
A White Scout Car that came ashore on DDay
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ouistreham
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fish market at Ouistram
Heart 0 Comment 0
No doubt the fish tastes great but the smell is awful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sword Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bill Mullen the Brigardier's Piper who piped him ashore and lived to tell the tale
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many Beach Tractors, this one a Sameca
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another Sameca
Heart 0 Comment 0
And two more
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Juno Beach for Dodie and Steve
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sword Beach today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keeping up with the frites, note none of that premade rubbish here
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had icecreams not frites
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pegasus Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 397 km (247 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0