Burgos: Trains - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2013

Burgos: Trains

Our train to Burgos didn’t leave until 1.30pm so we had all morning to explore San Sebastian. We went out about 8.30am to get some breakfast. The city was just beginning to wake up and actually we had a bit of difficulty finding a bar open to get our breakfast . One of the great thing about Spain is the orange juice, they squeeze it freshly for you from real oranges and it is quite delicious. On the way back to the room we found the underground market. The variety of fresh fish, meat, cheeses, breads and fruit and vegetables was a delight to the eye. We wished we could buy some, everything is of the very highest quality but not particularly cheap, We noticed the man from the restaurant across the road buying his selection of fish for the day. Back to the room for a pack up and to get everything down the winding stairs, but this time the owner helped carry the bikes.

Three hours now until the train left so we wandered the streets. San Sebastian is a beautiful and really prosperous looking city. It is hard to imagine that Spain is having financial problems if you see what we saw. Everything is meticulous with the streets being swept and washed. There are naturally hoards of tourists but lots of locals. All the shops we saw seemed to be selling very high end goods. The cafes and bars are packed with people drinking and snacking and this is not cheap. Ken and I are of course having trouble with the different hours, everything is completely dead in the afternoon all shops closed etc and nothing open until around 4.30pm. Trying to get a meal at around 8pm is near impossible and the Spanish eating habits seem a lot different from ours with lots of snacking on tapas, rachions and ice cream at the time I would be expecting them to have dinner. When we are well asleep the place is still humming.

The train trip was fairly uneventful, took about four and a half hours, first we went through beautiful mountains and were excited to go through the little town of Ordizia where my friend Dot’s son is playing rugby. I thought I saw the rugby stadium, at least it was a massive ground with lots of lights. When we arrived in Burgos we were in for a shock. We have visited here twice before but since our last visit they have built a new station miles out of town in the opposite direction. We recognized nothing but got things sorted and eventually found this lovely hostal. The exciting thing for the bikes is the tonight they are on the third floor in our room and our upper body strength is getting better.

San Sebastian Market, hams almost as good as Pokeno Bacon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
That is Bacalau, dried and salted cod.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bikes come down
Heart 1 Comment 0
San Sebastian Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little delivery van is a bike
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street muscian
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is where jamie plays Rugby
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Burgos
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bikes in their new home
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 2,195 km (1,363 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0