Day 5: Blyth to Wickenburg - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2023

Day 5: Blyth to Wickenburg

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is the longest day of the tour. Across the CA-AZ state line and the Colorado desert. We left Blyth on very crumbly backroads to rejoin the I10 for another 30 miles, then spent the rest of the day on the relatively quiet highway 60. The I10 was quieter today and there was less debris and I had a good chat with Ron. Still, it was a welcome relief to get away from the wider road and the noise onto H60.

Immediately the desert was more beautiful too, with interesting rock formations, cacti and shrubs.  This is the land of the western. Barbara and I tried to remember the words from songs and stopped to take photos along the gentle descent to the first SAG in Brenda at mile 39.

Buckaroo’s country store was huge, but largely empty. I risked a pre-packed sandwich with a sell-by date a month hence.

From there was a 12 mile ascent. Does it count as a climb if it’s only 1-2%? I’d wondered how I’d respond to these kinds of climbs as we don’t have them that go on so long and so gently in the UK. The answer is that it gets tedious wondering why you’re not going very fast. Even the technology tries to fool you, telling you that it’s 0% gradient. Having a long while to think about it I learned to distinguish the flat roads that go up from the flat roads that go down. 

Speed picked up at the top and I enjoyed entering Salome and the gentle descent into Wenden for lunch. Alena had made us Turkey wraps for lunch (crispy cucumber!) and a very friendly lady sold us iced coffee from the store. There’s not a lot of money here. The store was cavernous and yet half empty, even selling second hand goods, including clothes and jigsaws.

We sat in the shade on the sidewalk to eat. A local guy asked us where we’re going and then asked “Can you do that?” when I told him where! He was staggered when I mentioned the seven women on the trip.

There are lots of RV camps here as people come for the warmth in the winter. Too hot in the summer though. Crystal’s cafe in Wenden was “Closed till fall.”

Next was a flat stretch on a very abrasive road. The shoulder was fairly narrow, with a not very visible rumble strip and a very gritty surface. Several of us tried to spend the stage on the smoother white line, moving across only when we heard a car behind us.

At the final SAG at Aquila the team had set up stall in the lot of a garage and had made us snacks of some creamy marshmallowy stuff between two cookies. Incredibly sweet. I washed mine down with Gatorade, took two caffeine beans and had a strawberry shortcake lollipop from the store.

The last 26 miles comprised another long gentle rise (much gentler) and then a ten mile blast down into Wickenburg.

We sat outside for dinner tonight at a local grill. I had my first hamburger of the trip. A really interesting talk with Mark, Dana and Paula.

My ride took on an odd dynamic. I’d decided to have longer breaks to minimise the hot foot. That meant I kept passing the same people on every stage, which became a kind of routine that we all found slightly amusing.

Heart 0 Comment 0
My life for 127 miles. Momentarily no traffic, but plenty of debris to avoid.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Imagine how many of these live in a truck tyre 4ft across.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltPalo verde tree blooming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinsonia_florida
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltBrittlebush. About past blooming now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encelia_farinosa
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltOcotillo in bloom. Leaves from the winter rains have withered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouquieria_splendens
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
H60
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltThe darker green bushes with tiny yellow flowers and white seedpods are creosote bushes. They are quite interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrea_tridentata
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Elsa RobinsonIs that blue cheese?!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltHealthy looking Saguaros!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 115 miles (185 km)
Total: 397 miles (639 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve ParkerGreat stuff Peter. Looks like some of the road surfaces are not too dissimilar to home!
How are you coping with the food? Not many fine-dining experiences so far by the look of things!
Enjoying reading your journal.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jacquie DartBeautiful scenery!!!! To die for. I also like the "older woman wanted" ad - I'm packing my suitcase now, haha.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago