Rainbow Springs to Inverness - Rose Pedals in Florida - CycleBlaze

December 11, 2021

Rainbow Springs to Inverness

Mr. Thumbs and Matt Eagle Eyes Stevenson

Morning came quickly. After crawling out of the tent, we discovered a little mess on the table.  Overnight, Matt had heard Mr. Thumbs searching through our items on the table. When discovered Mr. Thumbs was in the process of taking his dinner (my lunch box) to go into the forest. Matt hung all our gear that had food in it.  

I forgot to inform Matt that I had Arbonne Fizz sticks in my trunk bag....my secret energy drink stash lol.  Under the stars that later that night, Mr. Thumbs unzipped my side pocket on the trunk bag and discovered my Arbonne fizz sticks. These are vegan, organic energy sticks mixed with water, the equivalent of pop rocks and soda in your mouth when not mixed with water. Enjoy the fizz you little bastard!

We got busy packing up and cleaning up the mess Mr. Thumbs left us.

We contemplated our route and took off.

Heading out of Rainbow state park onto the road, Matt Eagle Eyes Stevenson, noticed a Florida license plate and a nice multi use path alongside the road. Then as quick as a blink, he found a gap in the fence. We turned around and hopped on the path. Unsure where it went, but surely it was heading us in the general direction we needed to go.  We rolled along, enjoying the moment. We came to an amazing boardwalk and went forward. 

What an epic side trip!! 

This 8' wide boardwalk suspended us above the ground, led us through the flora and fauna then dead ended at Rainbow River.

Matt and his find!! Did you know a complete set of used license plates goes for $400 on Etsy?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Matt riding along on the awesome boardwalk!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zipping along this great boardwalk!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Smiling all the way down to the river!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Smiling as we turned back to find our way back to the road again. Google led us to Dunnellon, then our noses led us to a small diner. After a good breakfast, we made a left onto Williams street, then stopped for water and coffee along our way to Withacoochee Trailhead.

As we pedaled on the trail, the stress of road riding fell from my shoulders. We rode alongside each other listening to some tunes, smiling and talking about the blessings of the day. Occasionally, a go fast rider would zoom past, jarring us from the easy flow of the day.  Soon we were back into our rhythmic pace pedaling along the trail under the canopy of the trees with sunshine dappled in along the way.

The Withacoochee trail is a 46 mile trail running across Florida from Dunellon to Dade City.  As we pedaled into a town along the way, we stopped and talked with a family that was out for a destination bike ride. It was great to encourage them to continue to take the kids in more adventures, to make time for their own adventures and share with them a long time friends podcast, Family Adventure Podcast. I LOVE to see families out on adventure together.  There are immeasurable benefits to taking kids on adventures. ❤

We stopped for a refreshing Mr. Pibb and ice cream along the way on the trail.  Why not? As we finished our ice cream the family from earlier was reaching there destination, the spot we were at. We graciously gave them our table and said our goodbyes.

These looked yummy!
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we pedaled further down the trail, we contemplated our route. 

Along the Withacoochee trail. How many of us have posed for a great pic here?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fitting right in.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at a David's Cycle bike shop along the way and refilled our water bottles. Such a blessing, free cold refreshing water.

We had a sit and discussed the option of staying at a friends RV resort. After reading online it was a friend with benefits, exclusive nudist resort we decided to make an adjustment that our tan lines could handle. Matt and I decided to grab a hotel in Inverness instead of burn our buns at the RV resort. We back tracked 5 or so miles via Google cycling maps. It took us directly onto the sandy road to Mr. Thumbs party spot. If he was a college student, this was his party spot in the forest. Trash and bags of food shredded and thrown about on the couches. Refrigerators tossed on there side, cans strung about around the remains of a bonfire. We dismounted our bikes and walked quietly through the debris scattered about.  We made it the pavement again and mounted our bikes and rode headlong into the headwind to the hotel.

Well deserved showers and AC awaited us.

We checked in, unloaded our gear, grabbed showers and then decided on dinner.

Starved and partially parched we sat down to eat. Our server was great and we ordered a good dinner. Dinner with Matt consists of great conversations, lots of laughter, smiles and direct eye contact. Bring it!! Great times!!

Matt Eagle Eyes Stevenson getting his Vitamen K 😁 and his Popeye spinach refuel! I LOVE how strong he is!!💪💪
Heart 0 Comment 0
Staring at some deliciousness!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made a resupply stop at Walmart after dinner, then made a beeline back to the hotel.

My bed and pillow were calling my name as the day ended. My heart full of blessings , I realize my face hurt more from smiling than my booty today. That's always good thing.

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 263 miles (423 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0